bucky barnes - the world exposition

summary: sad nerd bucky x fem reader fluff
•••

"Are you ready, Doll? First show starts in an hour!"

Bucky Barnes raps his knuckles on your bedroom door. You poke a shiny earring into your ear lobe.

"Just a minute, Buck! I gotta grab my shoes!"

In your hurried rush to find the pair of heels you had set out, your foot meets the corner of your bedpost.

"Ow, damn it!" You curse, hopping on one foot. In the midst of your pain and strings of curses that would make a sailor blush, you don't hear the bedroom door opening, and you don't notice Bucky chuckling at you until he's leaning down in front of you to grab your shoes which had been pushed under the bed.

Your toes stops throbbing and you stand up straighter, resting a hand absentmindedly on Bucky's shoulder to steady yourself.

You slip on the heels with Bucky's help and then he stands up straight, looking at you.

"Oh, golly, Doll..." Bucky breathes, an awestruck smile on his lips. "You look beautiful."

You brush a stray piece of hair out of your eyes, which fell upon the love of your life. He was wearing his uniform, looking sharp and clean. His hair was fixed and shiny, and he held his sergeant's cap in his hand.

Your breath hitched in your throat at the sight of him. Bucky would be shipped off to England tomorrow morning. It was your last night together, and you were going together to the World Exposition show downtown. 

"I could say the same to you." You say, looking him over.

"You ready to go?" Bucky murmurs, stepping closer and resting his free hand on your jaw.

"Yeah." You reply, looking up into his bright blue eyes.

"Let's go have a good time, yeah?" Bucky says, pressing his forehead against yours.

"Yeah." You say again, smiling a little when Bucky nuzzles your nose with his. With a quick kiss on your cheek, Bucky takes your hand and leads you out of the room.

The walk to the expo center seemed short; Bucky chatted with you the whole way, showering you in compliments from time to time.

When you entered the science convention, you giggled at the way Bucky's jaw fell, and the way he excitedly squealed about seeing the new inventions Howard Stark would present in his show. He'd been intently reading the advertisements in the papers for weeks about the new technology and inventions that would be on display.

"Wow!" Bucky exclaims, squeezing your hand as you pass a display of a bright red mechanical arm that was stamping papers on its own.

The two of you wait in a vendor's line for a bag of popcorn, which you then share as you continue to walk around.

"(Y/N)! Look at this! Look!" Bucky tugs you all over the expo center, face lit up like a candle.

"Bucky, the show's starting!" You pull on his sleeve, and he grins, leading the two of you away from another of Howard Stark's inventions.

You and Bucky slip into the growing crowd around the main stage, hands locked together.

"Can you see?" Bucky dips his head down to you as the crowd packs tighter together.

You nod happily, and the lights on the stage shine brightly as the curtains are pulled back.

  "Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Howard Stark!"  A woman on stage announces.  Bucky squeezes your hand excitedly.  Howard Stark enters the stage and kisses the announcer. 

  "Ladies and gentlemen, what if I told you that in just a few short years, your automobile won't even have to touch the ground at all?"

  The women accompanying Stark on stage take the wheels off the shiny red car on display.

   "With Stark Robotic Reversion Technology, you'll be able to do just that!"

  Howard Stark flips a switch.  The car buzzes, and starts to levitate.  The crowd gasps excitedly.

  "Holy cow!"  Bucky exclaims, grinning. 

  Then, the car crashes to the ground, sputtering.  The crowd gasps again, chuckling nervously.

  "Well, I did say a few years, didn't I?"  Stark recovers, and the crowd laughs, applauding.

  Bucky's hand slips from yours and snakes around your waist, pulling you close to his side.    He grins at you happily, bright eyes glinting.

As Howard Stark's show comes to a close, Bucky leads the two of you back out into the expo.

When Bucky sees the dance floor and the large number of dancing couples, he can't help but ask you to join him. After a lip biting, bashful grin from Bucky, you agree, letting him lead you out amongst the dancing people.

The fireworks beautifully lit up the starry Brooklyn sky, booming and echoing into the night.  Bucky's laughter filled your ears as the two of you spun and spun and spun around, dancing joyously.

You could only keep holding onto Bucky, relishing in the moments you had with him. An hour passed, and the crowd has dissipated. A few dancing pairs were scattered across the floor.

You had your arms around Bucky's neck, head resting on his shoulder, and his arms were holding you close by the waist, leaning his head against yours and murmuring softly to you.

You didn't know that on that starry night in Brooklyn, New York, at the World Exposition you would be holding Bucky Barnes in your arms for the last time.

•••
send in requests!
+ thanks for all of your support ily guys