steve rogers - thunderstorms

summary: pre-serum steve x fem!reader fluff
(this idea was so cute in my head, and I was inspired by the cONSTANT thunderstorms I've been having where I live 🙄)
•••

"I heard on the radio there's a chance of rain." Steve comments, glancing up at you from his sketchbook.

"A thunderstorm, I heard," You reply, catching his gaze over the pages of the novel you were reading. "It's all cloudy." You add, looking up into the gray Brooklyn sky.

"Maybe it'll pass over." Steve sighs hopefully, continuing to brush the pencil in his hand against the paper.

The Brooklyn air was warm. You and Steve Rogers, your very best friend and next-door-neighbor, were sitting together at a table outside of Del's Cafe. It was a nice day to be out, and the two of you left your apartments, book and sketchbook in hand.

You suggested going to Del's not only for the best strawberry milkshakes in Brooklyn, but for the option of the seating outside of the cafe on the sidewalk. Steve agreed wholeheartedly, as you expected.

"Did you catch the time on that storm?" You ask after a moment of looking up at the darkening clouds.

"Mid-day was all I heard." Steve replies. "How long have we been here d'ya'think?"

You glance around. Your empty milkshake glasses had already been taken inside by a waitress. You were a little over halfway through your novel. Steve's sketching had taken up most of the paper.

"Two hours, maybe?" You reply, giggling unsurely.

"Well, I'd say the storm could blow up any second." Steve grins, continuing to draw.

You continue reading your book and Steve keeps drawing. You finish another two chapter before you set down the novel to watch the sky.

"Oh geez, it's about to storm. We should probably go." Steve looks up and laughs, shutting his sketchbook and fitting the pencil into the binding.

You leave a tip on the table before walking down the sidewalk. The clouds get darker as you get closer to your apartment building.

"Just one more block!" Steve laughs nervously. You both squeal when rain starts to drizzle down from the dark clouds. You shove your book under the waistband of your skirt to keep it dry. Steve slips his sketchbook under his shirt and you both start to run.

The apartment building is in view, and you gain speed as the rain falls harder.

You make it inside with a successfully dry book and sketchbook, but wet hair and clothes.

You're both shivering as you walk up the stairs to your apartments.

Right as you reach the door to your apartment, the electricity goes out.

"Shit!" You and Steve both curse, and then laugh. Steve accidentally bumps into you in the dark but you hold onto him in fear of losing him while laughing.

"If it's staying this dark, I'm staying with you!" Steve holds on to you tightly.

You fumble with the key and doorknob, and pull Steve into your apartment with you.

You blindly feel your way around into the apartment, nearly stumbling over one of your own living room chairs.

"I'll get you a change of clothes," You tell Steve, leaving him in the sitting room and carefully heading to your room. Steve stayed over so often he had several changes of clothes in the extra bedroom, just as you did in his apartment next door.

You change quickly in the dark and pull on a warm pair of socks before hurrying back to Steve with his clothes. Steve changes in the bathroom, and you settle on the couch and wait.

You can hear the rain pounding on the roof. Bolts of lightning started flashing in the windows.

Unexpectedly, a huge clap of thunder shakes the apartment, and you can't help but scream in shock.

"-Holy shit! Steve, where are you?!" You call, trembling from the shock.

"I'm coming! I'm right here, are you on the couch?" Steve laughs out from the hallway entrance.

"Yes," You reply as another rumble of thunder joins the sound of the pouring rain.

Steve's hands are outstretched as he tries to feel his way to the couch. You reach out your hands to find him, guiding him with your voice.

Your hands brush Steve's and you instantly grab them, laughing as he stumbles onto the couch with you.

"I got a blanket," Steve reports, wrapping the soft blanket around the two of you.

You snuggle close to him and Steve drapes an arm comfortingly across your shoulder, fingers brushing against your arm, listening to the rain and watching the lightning in the window.

In the middle of your conversation, and as Steve was moving around slightly to get comfy, another enormous thunder booms outside, louder than before.

You squeal and lunge closer to Steve for safety, and he does the same to you. The darkness makes the shock of the noise even worse.

You and Steve fall back onto the couch on your sides, holding onto each other tightly.

As you recover, you realize your legs are around Steve's waist and his arms are wrapped around the small of your back. Your arms have somehow become wrapped around his neck, and you're both nose-to-nose with each other. You feel your face growing hot, and you knew Steve looked the same way, both of you blushing and giggling with embarrassment and excitement.

You don't even think about what happens next. Without hesitation, you press your lips firmly against Steve's. Steve kisses back just as strongly, a silly grin on his lips. You don't stop kissing until the need for air is too great.

The rain on the roof is still loud, but you can hear your heart pounding in your chest as you pull away. Steve rests his forehead against yours. You close your eyes, smiling.

You stay in the same position throughout the rest of the storm, stealing kisses that often would lead into a frenzy of kissing that didn't stop until a clap of thunder shook the walls.

You were both so head over heels for each other you could hardly pay attention to the storm that raged outside the walls of the apartment. You were completely content in Steve's arms, so much that the storm didn't matter.

Nothing mattered as much as Steve did to you, and nothing mattered to Steve as much as you.

•••
ha, again with the sucky endings but anywho

I've got some requested oneshots coming up soon!

comment what you think and what you'd like to see in the next chapters! and please forgive me for taking a while to update (college student yall!)

also thanks so much to everyone who reads this book I love you guys so much
-katie