stucky - all i want ; pt 2

Summary: steve x bucky, 2nd part to "all i want"
*its kinda short sorry
•••

Bucky Barnes sighed as he entered his tent in the sleeping quarters of the base camp. Today was exhausting. Having been shipped out to England three weeks ago, long missions were an almost daily event.

During his training at Camp Lehigh, Bucky had been promoted to the rank of Sergeant. He had his own tent instead of a shared one, and played a big role in his squadron.

The mission today was near disastrous; they lost two men on the battlefield, and were forced to retreat. But on the bright side, the mail came in that evening.

Bucky cheered up a little after recognizing Steve's neat, cursive handwriting written on two dirty envelopes. He wished to see him again. They sent each other letters all throughout Bucky's departure, and even during his training.

In his notes, Steve wrote that he was safe, (to Bucky's relief), and in Brooklyn. He told Bucky about all of the recent news, how his neighbors got a new cat that kept creeping in through the window, and occasionally he'd send little drawings.  And of course, he wrote for Bucky to come back home.  Bucky will admit, he got a little teary eyed when he read the first letter from Steve. 

  Remember how you said when the war was over we'd buy out that liquor store and get me drunk?

  I tried and it didn't work.

  I can't sleep, Buck.  And even when I'm awake I feel like I'm dreaming because I turn around and you just aren't there.

  I love you.

  Please come back.

  Please

Bucky lay down on the cot in the tent after rereading Steve's new letters for a second time that night.

He took out the picture he always carried from his coat pocket. It was a picture of him and Steve at Coney Island a few years back. It was one of the only pictures he had of the two of them, and in this particular photo, both boys had large grins on their faces. Bucky's arm was draped over Steve's shoulder, and Steve was laughing.

Bucky could almost hear the sweet laugh now. He hadn't shown any of the other soldiers this picture, even while they were showing off their gals. He only smiled and shook his head when they teased and asked to see "the picture of his girl".

He'd give anything to see Steve in front of him now.

Finally, he tucked the picture back in his pocket, placed the letters in his safe box with the rest, and lay back down on the cot. Bucky stared up into the ceiling until his eyes grew weary and sleep overtook him.

This was his life now. After enduring the grueling work of basic at Lehigh, he was sent here, just to be crammed into one cargo truck after the other. It was exhausting work. On top of that, he went through the terror of the battlefield, relying solely on his promise to Steve that he'd get back home.

The next day, much to Bucky's expectation, his squadron was assigned a mission to a suspected Hydra base.

"Alright, Soldiers, here's the plan." The colonel announced as they stood at attention.

The plan was simple - get in, take out the Hydra goons, get out. It wasn't anything Bucky hadn't heard or done before. But as the soldiers loaded into the cargo truck and left the security of the base, Bucky felt his skin crawling with anticipation. On the outside, he was still and quiet, but on the inside, Bucky was a nervous wreck. Something was off, and he could feel it in the pit of his stomach.

Suddenly, a large explosion blasted outside. The soldiers inside the cargo truck exchanged looks of panic, and some jumped to their feet, including Bucky. The truck rolled to a stop.

There was a rushed panic going through the soldiers, and the cargo truck was filled with the sound of clattering guns and hushed curses.

The doors of the cargo truck were ripped open. Several of the soldiers jumped out, raising their weapons. Bucky was pushed by the other soldiers out of the truck.

The sight made Bucky's knees go weak. They were surrounded. Surrounded on all sides by armed and ready Hydra soldiers. They were easily outnumbered by far.

Bucky gripped his gun tightly, but seeing that none of the other soldiers were making a move to attack, started to lower it in defeat.

There was nothing else they could do. If they shot even a dozen of the enemy, it would barely make a dent in their wall of force. And so they were forced to surrender.

Bucky was in a panic. He knew what was coming next. Torture, and then most likely death. He was angry, to say the least, and when a Hydra soldier stepped forward and placed a gloved hand on his shoulder, he reeled back and punched the man in the face.

Of course, his move was punished. The Hydra soldiers retaliated, and two more jumped on Bucky. His hands were tied behind his back and he was given a swift kick in the ribs. They shoved him forward, leading him first onto their truck as if they were making selections on animals.

Bucky's heart pounded in his chest the entire ride in the cargo truck. His skin was crawling, and he felt so sick to his stomach he could've thrown up right there in the truck. There was no way he was coming home now, not without a god-sent miracle.

The ride was miserable. The Hydra soldiers kicked at them, mocked them, and even nudged guns in their faces.

The truck soon rolled to a stop. Bucky was solemn. He wanted to scream at the Hydra soldiers who pushed him and the rest of the squadron out of the truck.

But his heart was saddened even more at the fact that Steve and his family were going to get nothing, not even a body to bury; and that was what hurt the most.