Chapter 8 - The First Assignment

Start from the beginning

He reaches the room in record time, knowing that he has to be back and changed before Mary finds him, but still he wanted to see Merlin before going about the rest of his day.

"Good morning, Merlin!" he calls with a smile as he drops down by the grate.

Merlin sits up, rubbing his eyes sleepily as he yawns. "Good morning," he says through his yawn, "you're here early today."

Arthur blushes a little, "I have to go soon, but I wanted to see you first."

A hint of red appears on Merlin's face as he smiles. "You're gonna be late for your first day as a knight if you don't hurry."

The prince just smiles down at him with a goofy grin, "I know. But it's worth it. I'll come by later. I have to go before Mary finds out I haven't gone back to change yet." The prince gets up, turning to leave.

"Arthur." The prince stops and turns back around. "Um..." Merlin looks down at at the ground with embarrassment, "I love you."

The prince's heart flutters in his chest at the words. Merlin's trying to kill him isn't he? "I love you too," he says a little too quietly before he rushes out the door and back to his chambers, covering his face the entire way.

-----

It's a few months after Arthur's accession to knighthood before the king decides that the prince is ready to lead. Uther calls for Arthur one afternoon, sitting on his throne in the council chambers with a proud look on his face as his son enters.

Arthur can feel his body grow stiff as the door opens and his father is revealed on the other side. All the nerves in his body are tingling with anticipation? Excitement? Dread? Whatever it is, he hopes he can get it over with soon.

He stands on the opposite end of the table, waiting with his back straight for what his father has to say. The king though says nothing at first. Only stares as he inspects the boy - soon to be a man - stand before him. Uther smiles, then gets to his feet. "You've done well these past four months," he says with a heartwarming smile, "And I think it's about time you're assigned something more suited to your skill."

Arthur stands a little straighter at the praise, holding his chin up high and proudly. It's rare his father compliments him. Extremely rare. And whatever he's done to make him proud, he's sure to maintain it.

"I believe you've heard the rumours about a druid camp being spotted in the Forest of Ascetir," Uther says, his tone suddenly shifting.

Arthur frowns then nods slowly, "Yes, I've heard. They haven't caused any trouble have they?"

Uther's expression suddenly changes, morphing into one of utter disgust. "Their presence there is a problem on it's own and I want you to clear them out."

Arthur shuffles uncomfortably in his spot, suspecting what his father means but refusing to believe it, "You want me to ask them to leave?"

Uther turns on him, eyes furious. "They are sorcerers. A plague to this world. Simply 'asking them to leave' will not do. We need to show them that they are not welcome here in Camelot."

The words lodge themselves in the prince's throat. "You- you want me to..."

"That is exactly what I mean," Uther snaps, "what's wrong? You've killed people before. Bandits, thieves, knights from enemy kingdoms. A sorcerer should be even easier."

"But they haven't done anything wrong..."

The king's eyes grow furious at the words. He stands before his son, eyes ablaze with fury as he towers over him. "And are you going to wait until they've torched half the kingdom! I have seen their kind before. They will attack when you least expect it. Now go. I expect this matter to be resolved by the end of the week. Do not disappoint me."