SIXTEEN

Adrian couldn't sit still. His mind was spinning as a thousand and one thoughts ran around in endless circles in his brain. And every last one of those thoughts involved Amélie.

When she had touched his hand in the restaurant it had felt as though an electric current had shot through him. She had felt it too, he knew, by the reaction she had had, although for her that was understandable. He was an Incubus, after all. His touch was supposed to have that kind of affect. Why, though, had he felt it too?

His brows knit together as he paced across the bedroom. Leah had gone to have a bath, and Bowab was happily strewn out on the double bed watching a movie on his laptop. Usually Adrian lived for these moments. So rare was it these days for him to be left alone to do what he wanted. Tonight though, he longed for a distraction. Something to take his mind away from the mousy haired girl who seemed to have made it her mission in life to defy him in every possible way.

He hadn't planned on telling her as much as he had. Lyra wouldn't be pleased. But after he had seen the triumphant expression on her face as she scattered the storm earlier that night, he simply hadn't been able to stop himself. With his energy inside her body, Amélie had lit up like a beacon. She had taken his darkness and used it to make herself as indestructible as the sun. The storm didn't stand a chance. And the joy he had felt radiating off of her as she realized for the first time that she could be in control of her powers – that had been a dangerous feeling indeed. It had made Adrian want to give her more than he had ever wanted to give. It had made him want to feel things he hadn't ever felt, impossible although that was. He had had to physically remove himself or he didn't know what he might have done. 

He had managed to convince her to return home though. That was one success at least. And with Amélie living at his doorstep, he could surely turn the tables and make her give in.

She might believe that his powers weren't evil, but he knew better. He was evil through and through, and not even the blazing sun could burn that out of him. She wouldn't want to once she gave in either. Once he handed her over to Lyra he knew that Amélie would curse the day she ever agreed to return home with him.

Why that one small piece of knowledge caused the sleeping beast in his soul to growl awake though, he didn't quite know.

But he would find out.