ELEVEN

The game lasted another half hour or so, after which Bowab and Leah mutually decided it was high time for lunch. Amélie had watched the trio splashing about in the water without speaking more than a few hoarse words here and there, and only because if she didn't she knew Leah would worry. Having decided there was no point avoiding Adrian's silent pursuit of her, Amélie challenged him head on, meeting each and every one of his confident glances in her direction without so much as a flinch, even though her insides squirmed.

As Amélie already knew – the food she had packed was spread thin. Still not particularly hungry, what with almost drowning and all, Amélie once again gave much of her portion to the ravenous Bowab. He took her half sandwich without waiting to see if was alright with Adrian this time, probably too scared that if he asked him he would be swiftly declined. Amélie nibbled her apple in silence, and shook her head firmly when Adrian, surprisingly enough, offered her part of his own slice of half eaten sandwich.

"Well, I'm about ready for a nap," Leah declared once they had finished eating, wringing out her hair and brushing the breadcrumbs off of her towel. Then, stretching out like a lizard, she lay back against one of the many flat rocks, covered her face with her hat and said, "Call me if you need anything."

"Try not to get too burnt," Amélie warned. "The sun is deceivingly hot out here."

Leah merely grunted in response and didn't move even an inch of her lounging body towards the small patch of shade to her left. She was in her element. No stopping her now.

Once Leah had lain back and closed her eyes for an afternoon nap, Bowab made his way happily back into the shallow water, where he began to potter about making rock towers and sand castles. Amélie smiled softly as she watched him play. He looked so carefree for once. So innocent and unafraid. Amélie wished more than anything that she could join him.

"Shall we take a walk?" Adrian asked quietly.

Sighing, Amélie allowed the tranquil, peaceful surroundings to wash over her for a moment. The cool breeze against her damp skin. The warm sunlight casting rainbows in the waterfall. The shimmering, magical pool, Leah's soft, even breathing and Bowab's sweet, happy laughter. Embracing every last detail, she captured the image in her mind and tucked it firmly away, knowing as she did that it could well be the last moment of peace she ever had.

Then, pulling herself silently to her feet, she strode briskly away from the clearing, away from the waterfall, and away from all that was familiar to her, not so much as bothering to turn and check to see whether or not Adrian was following her. She already knew he was. She could feel his presence trailing along behind her, silent and deadly as a snake.

She walked deep into the forests arms, leading them as far away from Leah and Bowab as she dared. Whatever unfolded between her and Adrian in the next few minutes, Amélie didn't want them to hear. Especially considering Amélie knew she was going to shout. Perhaps even scream. And when she did, she didn't want them to come running.

Amélie came to a halt at the base of a tall cluster of jagged rocks, the tops of which jutted so high into the sky they far surpassed the tallest trees. Certain now that they were far enough away from their companions, Amélie allowed the rage she had bottled up for the better part of the last hour to wash over her once again. Rage that she was finally free to unleash on the man standing like a silent shadow behind her.

"What the hell are you playing at?" Amélie exclaimed, rounding on Adrian with such outrage her entire body began to quiver. "Are you trying to kill me?"

Adrian smiled. A white, toothy smirk that didn't quite reach the predatory gleam in the depths of his mossy green eyes. "Kill you?" He asked in mild surprise, taking a slow, deliberate step towards her. "I wouldn't dream of doing any such thing."