Chapter 10

Chapter 10

"What?" Of all the things Erin could've dared Austin to do, she chose this. Erin, I swear I'm going to knock you out with a pineapple. I thought we had a deal; she's supposed to be keeping him away from me! Not getting him to ask me out!

"Will you-"

"No, no, no! Don't say it again!" I exclaim. His expression remains blank, but I can see he's hurt in his bright blue eyes. Guilty that I'd snapped, I say softly, "I heard you."

"What's your answer?" he asks. A large variety of emotions are coursing through me. A guy just asked me out. A hot guy just asked me out. Austin just asked me out.

"Um... can I think about it?" I ask, sending him a hopeful smile. I'm subconsciously twirling my hair.

"Of course," he says. I let out the breath I didn't realize I was holding. "Take all the time you need."

"Thanks," I whisper. Then I walk up my driveway and through the door. When I peer through the window to see if he left yet, I see him still standing there, staring at my front door. I recede from the window side and plop down on the couch. The previous emotions I had are still bubbling inside me but now, more than anything, I'm confused.

Why did he ask me out? Does he actually like me? Is it just because he got dared to? Or did Erin dare him to do something else? The last words he said to me were "take all the time you need"; that seems like the kind of thing a boyfriend would say. Is it possible that Austin can have a sweet, loving side after all?

And among all these thoughts, I can't help but realize how similar the emotions I'm feeling now are to the emotions I felt the night when I hugged Matt because his parents were getting divorced. Joy with a mix of guilt. Flattery with a mix of confusion. That was the night I debated whether or not I liked Matt; I now must debate whether or not I like Austin. Do I like Austin? Ugh, this is not a thing to think about when I'm starving.

I almost forgot I was starving, that's how much my head is spinning. I sit up from the couch and walk over to the pantry. Delectable goodies line the walls. When I breathe in their delicious scent, I no longer feel so anxious. I relax just a little bit. "Oh, food, you're always here for me." I snatch a bag of Doritos from the shelf and walk back over to the couch to binge. Then I hear a knock on the door. With cheesy fingers, I trot up to my front door.

"What's the password?" I call.

"Pie," Matt replies. I smile.

"The door is open," I say. I hear the door knob turn. Matt walks through waving the game case.

"Hi," he greets with a subconscious flip of his dirty blonde hair.

"Yello," I say through a mouthful of Doritos. Matt chuckles.

"Dude, save some for me!" he exclaims, hopping onto the couch next to me. He reaches to dig into the bag but I clutch it to my chest protectively. He fake frowns and pretends to start crying.

"Gosh, I'm just messin' with ya, moron," I say playfully, holding out the bag. He smiles and pulls out a generous handful of the cheesy goodness.

"So this is your idea of lunch?" he asks teasingly.

"Yep. I can't cook without catching a microwave on fire, figured this is the safe way to go." He chuckles and suddenly my feelings of confusion and anxiety about Austin dissipate. I laugh as Matt places two Doritos over his eyes and sticks one out of his mouth. Then I ruffle his hair, leaving specks of cheese throughout his dirty blonde mop. "Thanks Matt," I say soft and sincere.

"For what?" He shoves another Dorito into into his mouth and crunches it.

"Being a fantabulous friend," I say, smiling genuinely.