Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Austin won the game of Monopoly. He was the last to enter the tv room and when he did, Erin and I had already watched three movies. Not wanting to get up, Erin and I convinced the boys to clean up the board game while we finished Finding Nemo.

"Huh," Erin comments once the boys are gone, "Austin's clever and hot."

I slap her on the arm playfully. "I thought you like Nate. Erin, don't switch from guy to guy like that! I'll lose my bet!"

"You bet that Nate and I would end up together!?" she whisper-yells, not wanting the guys to hear.

I put my hands up in surrender. "I was kidding!"

Erin sighs in relief.

"But I totes ship you and Nate," I say, providing my best imitation of a girly-girl. "I mean, you guys are totes adorbs, honey!"

In the dim light from the television screen, I see Erin face-palm. "Bailey, never do a girly-girl impression again."

"Yes, sir!" I say, bringing my hand up in a salute.

Erin rolls her eyes and flicks me on my nose. I immediately bring my hand down to my nose in hopes of easing the pain.

"Ow," I whine nasally. Unlike what a good friend would do, Erin laughs at my voice.

"Well, you're a wonderful friend," I mutter sarcastically.

"I know you love me," Erin teases. I roll my eyes playfully. "After all, my contact name in your phone is 'Erin the Wonderful Wilson'."

"Yeah, remind me to change that," I utter.

"Sure thing Bailey-Wailey," she says sweetly.

"Whatever," I mutter. "Just shut up so I can watch Nemo."

She smiles and we both turn back to the movie.

Patrick walks into the room as the credits roll onto the screen.

"You're done with the movie? Good. My mom says its time for you guys to leave," Patrick says while sending Erin and I an apologetic smile.

"I love you, too, Patrick," I mutter sarcastically. I stand up slowly, reluctant to leave the comfy, blue beanbag.

Erin pushes up from her beanbag. "Bye, Patrick," she says, giving him a high-five.

"Bye, Erin. Bye, Bailey."

"Adiós, moron," I say, also slapping him a high-five. "See ya wheneva!"

Together, Erin and I walk out of the tv room. After slipping on our flip-flops, we stroll out the door.

The before-sunset sun is bright, especially since I've been in a dark room for hours. I put my hand up in attempt to block some light. Erin subconsciously mimics my action and we continue to walk home.

Sooner than I expect, Erin is saying bye and going up her driveway, leaving me alone.

As I walk to my house, I can see the sun on the verge of setting. The sky is a yellow-orange color and the clouds are dyed scarlet. Even the trees take on an odd, yellowish tint and it looks like the whole scene is photoshopped. It's beautiful. When I reach my house, I almost don't want to go inside. I longingly glance over my shoulder at the sunset before stepping inside.

I'm about to close the door behind me but I hear a noise.

"Bailey!"

I turn around and peer out at the street. I laugh to myself when I see Matt running over, arms flailing and trying to get my attention. He continues running until he's at the door. He stands in front of me, barely panting. I guess the school soccer team works you hard.