Chapter 3: Insane

I've never run so fast in my life. "William, get a rope!" My palms wrapped around the basement door handle as it flung open. Tom had his phone against his ear right at the top of the stairs. "Hello 911, I'd like to report a-" I kicked Tom in the stomach, causing him to tumble down the stairs once more. Jeez, I'm surprised he isn't dead yet.

Tom reached the bottom of the stairs, landing face-first. His phone slid across the floor as he grunted. I ran over to the phone, stomping it out. "NO!" He yelled, shoving me.

He got on top of me, wrapping his hands around my neck. I felt pressure, losing oxygen as time went by. I gasped for air, unable to breathe. A rope choked Tom by his neck, yanking him back. William pointed the gun to his head.

"Do it!" Tom shouted.

"I'll do it!" William replied.

"Do it!"

I interfered, wrapping Tom with rope. "William, go get duck-tape."

"You won't get away with this," Tom said.

"Watch me," I replied.

William approached me a thick rope, handing it to me. "I'm sorry about all this, Tom." Tom gives me the death stare. "Go to hell." I look back at him, growing more upset. "I'm already there, Tom," I say, tying him up whilst William holds his gun up to Tom. "William, we need to go." Tom gave me the look of confusion. "You can't be serious! You can't leave me here, Crystal! This is insane." I look back at him at the top of the stairs. "Then I guess I'm insane," I say, slamming the basement door, muting his screams. "What do we do now, Crystal?" I put everything on pause, attempting to think. "My dad said he was going to get the files on Joslyn's murder so the police department can't solve the case."

William looks at me as if he doesn't know what I'm talking about. Because he doesn't. "What?" I haven't told him yet.

"William... my dad knows."

"W-what?"

"He knows I killed Joslyn."

"Oh god..."

"Don't worry, he's on our side."

"Okay, good. So what files are you talking about?"

"The police have files on Joslyn's murder. They will find out I killed her if my dad doesn't see those files before the police do. My dad says there in the evidence room, rigged with cameras and security guards."

"The evidence room? No way. He's not getting in there, Crystal."

"William, he's a cop. I'm pretty sure he can get in there, no problem."

Night approached the sky as William and I walked to my house. "Are you sure your parents won't be home for another few days?" I ask. "Yes, Crystal. Don't worry, we'll be fine." We left Trisha's body lying on the floor. we couldn't clean her up now. we needed to grieve first. I hoped that William's neighbor wouldn't go over to bring a casserole or lasagna or something like she always did.

We entered my home, looking for my father who was watching TV on the couch. "Dad, have you got the files yet?"

"Yeah, there in my drawer upstairs. We're good. William go home. Crystal, go to sleep already."

I sighed. "See you tomorrow at school, William."

The next day came, I walked to the bus. "Hey. William."

He didn't seem to talk much. After the bus took us to school, the first period came.

"Okay class, what caused the Civil War?" Mr. Allen.