25. Girl Meets Hospital

A/N: Although rare, there are injuries that could incapacitate a baseball player.

This chapter also comes with a warning, this chapter contains material that could be sensitive to some readers, it concerns cutting, bullying, as well as thoughts of suicide.

-----------------------------------------------------

The beginning of the baseball season had come, and Lucas was up at bat, Riley was cheering with the cheerleaders, Zay was on third base, Farkle was calculating the probability of Lucas getting a home run while Smackle asked questions about the game. Maya ignored them all paying more attention to Josh who was watching the game while she told him something in his ear.

The pitcher threw the ball at his face with full force, and before Lucas could duck the ball hit him and knocked him out cold. Riley ran up to him to check on him but he was unconscious, but she kept calling his name while squeezing his hand. She watched as the paramedic took him away, rushing to go with him on the ambulance. Their friends not far behind as Josh drove them all to the hospital while Zay called Lucas' parents telling them what had happened.

Riley cried in the waiting room, because the doctors said only family at the moment, everyone else couldn't figure out what happened. Except Zay said to the coach that the pitcher had done it on purpose, the ball had clocked in at over eighty miles per hour straight to Lucas' face. They ran test on Lucas all afternoon, as his parents showed up, as Riley's parents came with food for everyone, as Zay's mom sat next to them telling them everything will be alright. Riley just kept on crying.

----------------------------------------------------

When Lucas woke up he was in his bed at home, but something felt different, his memories didn't match what he saw. There was no picture of Riley and him at Coney Island from the summer before, it usually sat on his nightstand, there was nothing from his time at John Quincy, his trophies were labeled for a different school. There were no traces of his regular life and it seemed like he had been put in a different world. Farkle would tell him that alternate universes didn't exist and that he should go back to sleep. When he reached for his phone, the model was different but the password was the same, Riley's birthday, when he unlocked it all of the pictures were different. He was in a football uniform and not a baseball one, he was wearing a uniform for Thomas Jefferson High, Abigail Adams' rival school.

"What's happening?" he wondered pulling up his texts and seeing a multitude of girls asking for dates, but no messages from his friends.

"Lucas are you awake?" his father called. "I know you took a hit yesterday at the game but you can't stay in bed all day."

His door opened and his father walked in, for some reason he looked different, normally his father would have a hard edge to his voice from when he had been expelled, Riley had softened him a bit and they had gotten into a normal relationship. But the man in front of him looked like a completely different person.

"Ah you're awake," he said before sitting at the edge of the bed. "You should get ready for school."

Lucas only nodded, he didn't know what to say, something felt off and he couldn't place his finger on the problem. It was Friday, or at least that's what his phone said, which means they had a game the night before. He got up and went through the motions of getting ready, he said good morning to his mother only to see a middle schooler with her. He had a sister, and he didn't know it, the girl had the same eyes as his but where his hair was more mixed brown and blonde, this girl's hair was pure blonde.

"What's up bro?" she said looking at him like he was staring too long.

Instead of saying anything he grabbed a banana to make his mother think like he was trying, grabbed his backpack and rushed out the door. His school ID was for Thomas Jefferson, but he went to the one place he had always went to in the morning to grab a muffin, but Topanga's wasn't there. Instead he was faced with a fast food restaurant that wasn't open yet, so he walked on toward Abigail Adams hoping to find Riley, or Maya, or Farkle, hell Smackle would do but as he stood there watching the students all he saw were unfamiliar faces.