10. Girl Meets Sixteen

Start from the beginning

When Riley and Maya made it to school Riley was skipping everywhere, they walked up the hole and Riley smiled. "This year has been a good year Maya," she said as they walked up the stairs. Riley stopped to look at the shoes the girls were wearing, but Maya kept walking ignoring Riley's morning routine. As she made her way to Maya, she tripped on someone's shoe but before she could apologize the person was gone.

"Riles, stop..." Maya stopped noticing that Riley was on the floor. "You haven't been this klutzy all year what happened."

"I tripped on someone's shoe," Riley smiled at her best friend. "It was bound to happen at some point since there's so many people in this school."

"Come on let's get our stuff for class," Maya said helping Riley up off the floor. Maya walked off to her locker, leaving Riley at hers by her dad's classroom.

When she opens her locker a bunch of balloons come flying out, in the middle there's a note, Happy Birthday Princess Dancing Sunshine, she automatically knew it was from Lucas because he's the only one who knows that nickname.

"Happy Birthday Riley," Lucas' voice pulls her away from the locker to see him standing with a bouquet of flowers, white and purple all over. He leans in a kisses her on the cheek, smiling at her.

"Thank you Lucas," she said trying to hide her blushing face.

"I have fourteen more surprises for you, I wanted to give you a birthday you would never forget so I figured you needed sixteen surprises."

"You're the best boyfriend ever," she said smiling, as she took his hand and linked their fingers together.

Throughout the day Lucas gave her small little surprises, during her class with her father he had put a small purple cat on her desk with a little purple ribbon. The next time they had class together, he put a hand drawn picture on her desk of the two of them, it wasn't a perfect drawing put it was perfect to her. The last class they had together he had given her a bracelet made of leather that he had woven together. When she went to her locker at the end of the day to get all of her little gifts she smiled when she saw a framed picture of their first date in middle school.

He stood next to her smiling with a birthday bag in his hand. "I thought you might need this," he said smiling.

"This day has been so perfect," she told him and he smiled. They put everything in the bag and Lucas took it and held onto it as they walked towards her mother's café.

"Come on," he said pulling her inside. The café was empty, their friends nowhere in sight but she didn't care that they weren't studying together. They had all wished her a happy birthday throughout the day and told her that they would be at her party that night. Lucas' next surprise came in the form of a sandwich, a soda and a slice of chocolate cake for them to share.

"I promised I would if you asked, but you never asked," he said as he put half the food in front of her. "So I figured we could do this as your next surprise along with this impromptu afternoon date."

She smiled at him and nodded, it was two gifts at once and she loved it. She got up and sat back down next to him in the booth, taking his hand and laying her head in his shoulder.

"Okay the ninth surprise is this," he said and gave her a kiss on her lips, pulling away with a smile. "It's small but I thought we'd try to have a little more public displays of affection."

She couldn't help but smile. "I wouldn't mind that either, maybe one day we can even sit in the back of the movie theater and make out," she teased him but noticed how his ears turned red.

"One day," he said. "Now eat up the next surprise is uptown and we have to get there and back before your party."

The two of them ate and smiled at each other throughout their meal, before he grabbed her hand and pulled her towards the door. "Maya's mom said that she's going to take our stuff to your apartment," he said smiling.