nineteen

+Biana was sitting in her room, leafing through the latest issue of Elvin Magazine when her transmitter went off. She frowned, and picked it up to see the name Keefe Sencen flash onto the screen. "That's odd," she thought. "Why would he call me instead of Fitz?" She clicked it open to see her crush's face materialize onto the screen. His eyes were red, and his hair was messier than fashionable. Something was wrong.

"Sorry to bother you, but I-" he started, but she cut him off.

"Keefe, what's wrong? Did you encounter the Neverseen or something? You look terrible."

"Thanks, but no, no I didn't."

Embarrassed, she quickly apologized, but he only waved her off before falling silent.

"So..." she started, hoping he wouldn't shut her down. "What's the matter?"

"It's just... Sophie and Fitz. They're always together doing together-y stuff and-"

"Together-y stuff?" She giggled, an eyebrow raised in question.

"Yes," he smiled a bit before continuing. "It's just hard to see them together like that. Especially because Fitz is my best friend."

Frowning, she asked, "what do you mean?" Though she feared she knew what he was going to say.

Keefe looked around briefly before leaning closer to his imparter, "promise you won't tell anyone?"

Biana nodded, tears starting to gather in her eyes, "promise."

He took a deep breath, "I like Sophie. I've liked her since the day we met, and I think I might even love her, but she likes Fitz." There was a pause before he continued. "It just hurts to see them stare at one another, having a conversation no one else can hear, or when they hold hands under the table, totally at random, for no reason at all."

"They what? I thought they were too awkward for that!" Biana exclaimed, proud of her best friend for taking such a big step, even if she didn't tell her. There must have been a good reason they kept it a secret if they were holding handsd under the table.

"I know, right? It's almost like they're together." Realization hit her crush in the face, "they aren't together... are they?"

She was tempted to say yes, so that maybe Keefe's crush on Sophie would go away, so that maybe he'd fall for her instead, but that would be selfish. He deserved to know the truth. The tears in her eyes started to sting as she gave him a small smile. "No, they're not, but there is a chance they will be."

"What do you mean?"

It was Biana's turn to look around before leaning in closer, "Don't tell Fitz I told you this, but he recently realized that he likes her."

Keefe's eyes widened in fear, "oh man, I'm done for, aren't I?"

"I don't know, maybe there's still hope. You still have time." She offered, even though her heart ached more with every word from her mouth.

He seemed to relax a little, and he smiled. "Yeah, maybe you're right. I better turn on the Keefe charm tomorrow! Thanks, Biana!"

"Anytime," she replied, but he didn't seem to notice as he was turned away from the camera, listening to someone talk in the distence.

"Thanks for listening, I have to go. See you tomorrow!" Her crush winked and waved goobye before their call ended.

Biana sighed, almost wishing she hadn't been honest. She wanted to curl up in bed and cry, but she didn't want to scare her parents if they came in or saw her eyes red at dinner. Instead, she tried a different method. She grabbed her sketchbook and shoved it in her favorite tote bag with some colored pencils before heading out the door, heading to the leapmaster.