Losing It

<In New York>

Getting everything straightened out was a lot easier than Roxanne and James that first thought. Even though Roxanne had to go in to speak to her colleagues about her sudden vacation to Taxes, no one questioned her. Even if none of them thought too highly of her, they couldn't deny that she was smart and more often than not, knew just want she was doing.

While Roxanna was out speaking with them, James closed up the bakery for a few days and packed a few clothes before returning to the house. She had asked him if he would stay with her until they left. Things were just a bit awkward at first. James hadn't been staying with anyone since he moved out on his own and Roxanne wasn't used to having anyone around at all. But it didn't take long until they started laughing and talking, comfortable with each other again.

"So, who was the gentleman that called?" James had asked over dinner. He had tried to insist on cooking for her but she talked him out of it and allowed her to cook for them. The question had surprised Roxanne but didn't seem troubled about answering the question.

"He's a friend I met in high school. We were both- ah. We haven't been keeping in touch as much as we said we would, but we still talk and stuff."

James nodded, looking down at his plate for a moment. "Just friends?"

Roxanna smiled and hummed. "Just friends."

Once it was time for them to leave, James drove to the airport and they boarded the plane. It was a good flight. Roxanna told him a bit more about her history with Derrick and how high school was for them. As she thought back to it, she just realized how much they had never really fit in with other people. They have always been the outcasts.

Texas was just as Roxanna remembered it. Hot, sunny, and not her place. It's been awhile since she been there but she still knew she wasn't a warm weather girl. Part of the reason why she moved out to New York.

"Derrick?" Roxanna stood outside of the airport with James, their bags in their hands. She figured that Derrick would want to be with was with whoever has been holding his attention but she didn't want to just walk to his apartment if he still lived in the same place.

"'Ey Lalonde." She narrowed her eyes in concern. He didn't sound good. He really didn't sound good. "I'm at home. Just head on up."

"Alright... I'll be there soon." Hanging up, she smiled at James and tilted her head to the side. "We can just head to his apartment." Nodding, he fell into step with her, walking away from the airport.

It wasn't much of a walk but Roxanna was hotter. Pulling her hair back and slid a pair of sunglasses on. "Not one for the heat?" James laughed softly, smiling at her. "Nope. I'm not. Too hot and not enough clouds." Roxanna mumbled, trying to hide her own smile.

Once in the apartment, they opted for the elevator, Roxanna pressing the top floor button.

"Derrick?" It was a bit worrying when Roxanna found the front door was unlocked. Maybe he just did that for her. "Back here!" A voice called from the back of the apartment followed by soft steps. The figure came into view, and James bit back a reaction. He wasn't sure what he thought this friend of Roxanna's to be but he wasn't sure this was it.

Bags under his eyes and looking completely exhausted, eyes a little bloodshot.

"Oh goodness." Setting her bags down, Roxanna walked to him, grabbing his wrist and set him on the still pulled back futon, a look of irradiation on her face before looking back at him. "James, I need to talk to him for a moment."

Nodding, James took the bags and walked down the hall. He looked around, not wanting to go into a room he wasn't supposed too. As he stood around, he could still hear the voices from the living room.

They haven't moved after James had left, Roxanna stood in front of him, holding her head in her hand. Derrick's head was bowed, staring down at the floor. "I thought you said you would take care of yourself."

"Roxanna, I have. It's just-"

"No, you haven't!"

"He's-"

"Who is 'he'?"

"My brother!"

Roxanna stopped, her eyes widened just a bit. "Brother? Derrick, you don't have a brother." What really had happened to her friend?

"I do. Another time ago. He's name was Dave, he was my little brother. I found him here, David Strider, the director."

"Derrick..." She sighed, sitting down next to him. For a moment, all she could think about was Rose. But that couldn't be the same. It couldn't be. "It's not possible."

He snapped up, narrowing his eyes at him. It took her a second but the longer Roxanna looked at him, she could start to see his eyes through his shades. It's been a long time since she actually saw them. "It is. I met him, he knows me as his brother too, he stayed here for a few days."

"Then where is he?"

Without a thought, Derrick fell against her, resting his head on her shoulder. "He's in the hospital. He got hit by a car. Roxanna, I'm losing it, really I am. He's there, he's my brother but I still saw Dave that day. David was running because he thought he saw Dirk. We're losing it."

Tilting her head to rest against his, Roxanna sighed. She wanted to tell him what was going on, that she and James have also been seeing people but that wasn't something to saw in this situation. She needed to be there to help Derrick, not make him think this is any more real than he already thought. "Derrick-"

"Come with me to see him tomorrow. He'll tell you."

Closing her eyes, those deep purple eyes stared back at her, knitting in worry as Rose begged her to be careful. She couldn't go with Derrick to see this man. She couldn't. But he couldn't go alone... "Alright. I'll go."