Chapter 23 - The Plan

Four Days Later

Max's POV

I stepped out of the shower and looked myself over in the mirror. The dark circles under my eyes had only gotten bigger since over the last few days as sleep came scarcely to me. I didn't like the rest anyway, my dreams haunted me of happier times and left me wishing that I could go back in time.

My pity party had lasted over a week so far and it seemed to have no end. Every day it just gets harder, harder to sleep, harder to find the will to keep going. I hadn't left my apartment since that fateful night and Aria hadn't been back since I kicked her out. I really was all alone.

In the first few days I had avoided any sort of news show or interview program, but yesterday I had thought it was a good idea to watch a talk show. Of course Claudia was on there, chatting happily about her happy little family, stating that Ryan was too busy with work to go on the show with her. Too busy with work. While I was home, mourning the loss of our relationship, wondering if I could live without him, he was busy working.

I sighed, shaking my head and willing the pain in my heart to leave me. I put some jeans and a shirt over my wet body and sauntered back to the couch, where old television shows and alcohol awaited me. As I parked myself on the couch my phone rang and for a second I hoped that it was Ryan. After a moment my rationality came back to me and I was disappointed to realise that it wouldn't be him. It was stupid to think that he would call me.

'Yes,' I said, hoping that the person would sense from my tone that I was not in the mood to talk.

'Hey Max.' Aria's gentle voice came over the phone and I hoped that she had forgiven my misdirected anger from the other day.

'Hey,' I greeted her dryly.

'Can I ask a favour?'

'Depends.'

'On what?'

'Do I have to leave the apartment?'

She paused before continuing, 'Uh maybe.'

'Then no.' I pulled the phone away from my ear, about to hang up, but she kept talking so I reluctantly put the phone to my ear again.

'Please Max, I need some help, I need you to come pick me up.'

'Why? Are you ok?'

'Yeah, my car broke down. Can I text you the address?'

'Can't I just send my driver?'

'Can you please come Max?'

'Fine.'

'Thank-you so much, go to the address and there's a back door, just go through that and I'll be right there.'

'Alright.'

I hung up and after a few moments the text came through. I looked like shit, but Aria was my best friend, and she needed me, so I picked up my keys and left.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

I locked my car and walked over to the large building. Its black walls giving me no insight to what lay behind them. I checked the text again to make sure it was the right place, and it was, so I continued on my way.

True to what Aria said, there was a large black door at the back of the building and I tentatively knocked on it. I silently hoped that Aria had not led me to my death.

The door opened to reveal a dark skinned man wearing black pants and a black shirt.

'Mr Stark, you're just in time, follow me' who was this man? What was I just in time for? My death?