CHAPTER 14

There's been no rest for me since the earthquake this morning. I found the car in remarkably good condition and I try to drive out of the small town. I eventually had to ditch the vehicle and go on foot in order to avoid the rescue trucks heading to the wreck site. I followed the highway all the way to a rest stop.

        I practically collapse but I hear Annie's voice telling me to keep going. I head into the back bathroom and stare at myself in the mirror. I'm caked in the rumble and my clothes are tattered. I look like I went to hell and back. I unzip my backpack and remove the chest. I dig through the water and food rations and find a clean set of clothes. Annie really was prepared in case we had to run. I turn on the tap and wash my face and arms. I dry myself off and change into the clothes. I then go through my makeup kit that was in the back of the car. Annie really had thought of everything.

        I pop out my filthy contacts and go to replace them. I comb through my fading blonde hair and select the next colour. I stop for a moment and stare at myself. It's been awhile since I've seen myself in the mirror. My face is slightly longer; my eyes even seem a bit of a darker blue. My cheekbones seem sharper; my body has elongated and seems thicker with muscle. I'm no longer the child I thought I was...I am a woman; a proud sixteen-year-old Loric warrior with a story and a taste for revenge.