CHAPTER 12

My first instinct is to run inside but if the Mogs are still in there...I risk getting captured. Guilt surges through me not telling Annie about the man and all this has confirmed my worries.

        I peer through the doorframe to see if there are any Mogs I can attack to get Annie out of there. Nothing so far. I step lightly into the front hall and see blood. I begin to get frantic. I take a step closer and hear a cannon fire up. I have seconds to react and I dive to the side. The blast misses me by inches and I take cover behind the wall. I hear the language that chills me to the bone and I whip around to face my opponent. I see two Mogs, one with a blaster, the other with a sword. I concentrate and hurtle the two of them back with my telekinesis. I then rip the sword and gun from their hands. I approach them and I fire twice, taking them both out. I turn into the kitchen expecting more but I see none. I turn towards the bedroom.

RUN!! It's Annie. For god's sake run! Don't fight! There are more coming, you won't stand a chance. I've done my duty but you have not. Fight my little warrior, fight for Lorien but now is the time to run. Take the car...your chest is there along with my letter. I knew this was going to happen.  Find the others and win back our planet. Kick their asses. I love you Sofia, the letter explains those secrets I've kept and I hope you can understand my reasons. Please do not save me. Goodbye, I love you Aralia. My child.

        Her thoughts stop and I explode into silent tears. I know she's gone but she is right. I can't fight for Lorien by myself and I need to... I hear thudding boots down the hall and I run for the door. I say a silent goodbye to our home and Annie and then bolt down the stairs. I have a decent head start and I head for the garage under the apartment building. I'm halfway across the garage when sudden rumblings come from above. Maybe the army has arrived for me. All I have is a cannon and sword; I stand no chance...unless I can sneak out the back way.

        I hop in the car and find the keys on the dashboard. Annie must've always had the car ready to go in case of an emergency. I rev up the engine and take off. I've never driven before but I know now is the time to learn is now. I steer around the garage for a moment, trying to get control and to find the exit. I steer hard to the right and drive to the exit at 80 mph. Nothing stops me at first and I turn hard to the left towards downtown. I rev down the back street and pray nobody's driving this late at night. I check my mirrors and see nothing but I feel like the Mogs might be re-grouping and start to figure out what's happened to me. I turn right and end up on Main Street. There are a few cars parked out front but I have a clear path to escape. I feel that rumble again, only more fierce. I nearly lose control, that's no army. I turn off Main Street and into a nearby neighbourhood. I park quickly, grab my chest and a backpack and run for the nearest house. I bang on the door. A frightened face appears and I ask for shelter. The woman opens the door and I burst in.  She shuts the door and guides me to their basement. I come down the stairs and meet more frightened faces. Almost half the neighbourhood is down here hiding. There is another rumble and I'm thrown off the stairs. The woman behind me falls but I catch her with my telekinesis to cushion her fall. I shut the door with my mind and help the woman to a safe place.

        I turn around and see Hanalei and Jonobi huddled in the corner. They recognize me right away and try to smile but another tremor hits and they start to cry. I sit with them and they curl up to me like scared little birds wanting protection. Another violent tremor rocks the basement and the two scream. I put my body over them and ask them to think about soccer. I apologized for not showing up all the time and the two just cry. It's not long before I join them.