Chapter 8 | Mute Jealousy

CHAPTER VIII |MUTE JEALOUSY

Dimwitted feelings don't follow my commands, do they?

The nurse from yesterday – who turned out to be Zack's sister – replaced the stain cloth wrapped on my shoulder with brand cleaned ones, this morning. The bullet didn't make it inside me, but rather left an uncomfortable scratch. No stitches were needed, fortunately. 

I stand in front of closed double doors with a cup of hot-chocolate in hand. I run a hand down my face. Of all efforts to remain in Erwin's squad, I was dragged back to the Special Operation Squad. I enter the room, Eld being the first to lay eyes on me.

"What brings you here?" he lifts an eyebrow. The rest of the group halt their chattering and shift their attention to me.

"Ask the captain." I lift my hand in stop motion, "Too tedious to explain." I take a sip from my hot chocolate and take a seat.

"Good morning, Divergent," Petra greets warmly from across the side corner of the table.

"Athena, Petra. A.T.H.E.N.A," I say annoyingly.

She winces, "Oops. Sorry." She smiles sheepishly. "What brings you here?" She asks.

"Ask the captain," I repeat again, sipping the warmth through the beginnings of winter. Levi soon enters the small dining room, and takes a seat at the head of the dining table; Petra seating on his left. "Such royalty," I murmur.

"Captain Levi." Petra leans on the table. "Why is Athena joining us today?"

"Cadet Heart has join the Special Operation Squad," Levi says, in a monotone voice. He sips his tea.

"Awesome," Petra beams in excitement. "Another female in the squad." She smiles. I nod cold heartily.

"Tch, don't get so cocky rookie," Olou clicks his tongue across from me.

"Mind your business, will ya?" I spit out. The breaking of ceramics echo in the room. I instinctively protect my face with my hands. Small drops of hot liquid splash on my side cheeks, neck, and white collar-up shirt. A chair scrapes loudly on the floor soon after. I'm yanked out of my seat. My face is propelled to the side. I stumble and place my hand on the table. I touch my cheek. What did I do? Tears prick in the corner of my eyes. Why do I feel things for him? I suppress the urge to strike his face with a broken ceramic. It would be nice to rid him from existence in hopes to rid the feelings I'm awfully developing for him.

"We got a mission today," Levi informs us all. He grips my arm.

"A mission?" Petra asks carefully, in fear to not anger the captain.