Soc/337 Traditional Healing In Latin America

Traditional Healing In Latin America

Samantha Craig

Soc/337

12/13/2016

Jennifer Hudgins

Introduction

Latin America offers an enormous amount of diversity in life. This is in large part to having over 26 different countries making up what the modern world would view as Latin America (Britannica, 2016). What many don't understand is that in the "year 2010, an estimated 45 million indigenous people lived in Latin America, accounting for 8.3 % of the region's population." (Cepal, 2014) Many of these individuals choose to live in tribes that don't receive the best health care or resources. Amongst these small communities there is what is known as traditional healers, whom share knowledge that has been passed down about disease and the natural influences of living things around them.

What are Tradition Healers?

Traditional Healers have played a part in Latin American Cultures for over a thousand years, and still in present times are viewed as an important part of traditional health care professionals (Avila, 1999). Curanderismo is one of the most well-known and popular traditional folk medicine practices in Latin America it "blends religious beliefs, faith, and prayer with the use of herbs, massage, and other traditional methods of healing."(Encyclopedia, 2016) This can be used to address certain needs of the individual whether it be physical, psychological or even spiritual. The even more fascinating fact is that unlike today's doctors in the medical field, not everyone is able to be a Curanderismo. According to Avila (1999) each future traditional healer that is picked is done so based off of having a gift or an "El Don". However, just being able to be gifted is not enough, based off of the research done by Trotter and Chavire (1997) it can take many years to work as an apprentice to a master in order to fully learn the craft of healing. The second distinction between modern day medicines and healers is the core philosophy of their work. When it comes to the healer their main focus is that of the spiritual aspect of the individual, because they believe that the imbalance there can cause illnesses (Totter & Chavira, 1997) While the modern day doctors tend to focus on the symptoms that are presented and what illness based off of them would be the cause.

What does a traditional healer do?

This then leads people to ask the big question, what does a traditional healer exactly do? Well remarkably they work just like a normal professional in health care. Latin America's traditional healers have their own specialties and areas in which they practice. There are some who have narrow areas such as those who are midwives or even herbalists. These are individuals who have trained in a these specialties. Despite the traditional healers specialty they always consider that the illness is a complex manifestation of problems that lay within the planes of emotional, physical and spirituality. Due to their views these healers then use several different means within their practices. One part of their practices that many are accustomed to or have heard of is the external use of prepared mixtures such as lotions, oils, potions and other substances that can be consumed. The next part would be the multiple types of offerings, prayers and rituals that they believe is part of the healing process. These things can be elaborate and over the top or very quiet functions that may include certain objects that can be viewed as an important component in the process of healing. While some healers may present objects such as jewelry or amulets that are made to protect and heal that person other may use herbal remedies that work faster and better.

Economic, Religious & Social explanations

While many find these small facts interesting many might still wonder what are the economic, religious and socials factors that can explain the use of Latin Americans traditional healers and why are they used so commonly? According to (Trotter & Chavira, 1997) the reason is simply the fact that do to the economy the traditional healers are more affordable than modern day doctors. This is because instead of taking money as a payment, especially those that are poor, they may take offerings due to their services but everything is determined by case to case. The second reason as to why this treatment is preferred is because the Latin American culture is spiritual and religious and this practice of traditional healers presents both sides to the treatment. The individuals that are blessed with "the gift" is viewed as something that was provided by a greater force which is where the religion plays part in. They also use religious objects in the practices that they provide for healing such as crucifixes. Thirdly, these traditional healers also have strong ties to the communities around them and are viewed as a high member within that society, this and the fact that they offer spiritual support, or counseling. Latin American culture is known for the fact that the individuals have strong views and ties to not only their family but the community. This is another reason as to why these healers are so well sought after and valued.

Conclusion

In conclusion, traditional healers have and will be a very important part of the life of Latin American culture. These healers are not only strongly respected and valued members of the community but also work within them as well. There are many reasons as to why someone would turn to these healers and it is generally because they provide a sense of religion into their practices that brings in a sense of calming for those that need it. However, the biggest reason they are so popular is because they don't require a huge payment and work with those who are poor. Previously as stated they are specialized in fields that call to them, much like the present day doctors. However, only those who have been gifted can truly study the Curanderismo.

References

Avila E (1999). Woman Who Glows in the Dark: A Curandera Reveals Traditional Aztec Secrets of Physical and Spiritual Health. New York: Penguin Putnam.

Gracia, J. J. E. (2008). Latinos in America: Philosophy and social identity. Malden, MA: Blackwell.

Occupational Therapy International, 16(1), 82-88. Trotter, R. T., & Chavira, J. A. (1997). Curanderismo: Mexican American Folk Healing. University of Georgia Press.