Psy/340 Brain Lateralization and language reflection

Brain Lateralization and language reflection

Samantha Craig

Psy/340

6/21/2015

Manon Doll-McGhee

The brain is a very complex organ due to the fact that it is separated into different regions that process and control certain behaviors and cognitive skills. Lateralization is where specific functions are located in certain sides of the brain. The left hemisphere of the brain is known to be dominant for the production of speech in about 80 percent of individuals who are left handed and almost 95 percent of those who are right handed, according to the fMRI data. (Kalat, 2013)

There are to hemispheres of the brain the right and the left. The right side is used primarily to judge space and positions of objects, body positions and how to understand what they mean such as standing with your arms crossed. Remembering things that a person sees or even does. It also has the motor control of the left side of an individual's body. The left side of the brain is more of the ability to use and understand languages such as listening, speaking, reading and even writing it. Being able to recall from memory detailed information as well as the motor skills of the right side of the body.

Reference

Kalat, J. W. (2013). Biological Psychology (11th ed.). Retrieved from The University of Phoenix eBook Collection database.

Szaflarsk, J. P., & Rajagopald, A. (2012, Janurary). Left-handedness and language lateralization in children. Brain Research, 1433().