Psy/410 Neurodevelopmental and Neurocognitive Disorder Paper

Neurodevelopmental and Neurocognitive Disorder Paper

Samantha Craig

Psy/410

6/23/2016

Introduction

When it comes to the human body, there are many things that can affect it such as neurodevelopmental and neurocognitive disorders. While both of these disorders take place within the brain, they each have their various characteristics. Neurodevelopmental disorders are "group of disorders that can include developmental brain dysfunction, which can manifest as neuropsychiatric problems or impaired motor function, learning, language or non-verbal communication." (Nature, 2016) While the neurocognitive disorder is where there is a loss of neural cells that result in a form of brain damage. This paper will cover two disorders the first is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) which is a Neurodevelopmental disorder and Alzheimer's disease that belongs to the Neurocognitive disorder.

Behavioral Criteria for ADHD

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder "is a brain disorder marked by an ongoing pattern of inattention and hyperactivity-impulsivity that interferes with functioning or development." (NIMH, 2016) This particular disorder is usually diagnosed within early childhood stages "hyperactive-impulsive or inattentive symptoms that caused impairment were present before age seven years." (Behavenet, 2016) However, it can manifest late into adolescence or even adulthood. There are many different symptoms that accompany ADHD however, the more typical and well-known ones would be hyperactivity – impulsivity and, lack of attention span.

One of the biggest signs of is the inability to sustain attention on tasks that provide little to no interests for an individual. Those who suffer from this disorder also have social problems finding it difficult to make and keep friendships for an extended period. They would also find it difficult to follow directions and listen when directly talked to. In this category, they also end up forgetting daily activities such as chores and usually look for ways to get out of doing things that require a significant amount of mental work.

The second and third signs are hyperactivity and impulsiveness. These both are labeled together in the DSM-5. In the hyperactivity portion, it usually refers to the fact that the child constantly feels the need to move whether it be through fidgeting, running around, climbing and walking around when it is inappropriate to do such as in a classroom. Another problem is the fact that those who suffer this part of the ADHD are excessively talkative and does so at a very abnormal fast pace. Under the impulsivity the behaviors that might show up would be the inability to wait their turn, interrupting others as they talk or reply to questions without them being fully asked.

Incidence Rates and Causes of ADHD

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder like many others before it do not have a clear cause as to how or why, and individual gets it. There are however many clues that point to factors such as environmental and genetics as a point of origin. When ADHD is looked at many, have found that genes might play a role in this disorder based on many relatives who share the same problem or similar characteristics of the disorder. When it comes to the environmental effects, there are many factors to look into. This can be a learned trait due to a parent who is usually on the go and trying to keep the children busy so that they are not bored. This can then cause the child to feel fidgety and restless. Another part is the possibility that the child either during the mother's pregnancy or at a young age was exposed to a certain amount of toxins such as lead. According to (Holland & Riley, 2014) "6.4 million American Children ages, four to seventeen have been diagnosed with ADHD and within eight years the diagnoses increased up to forty-two percent."