» 10: The Killing Rope

| 6 Years Earlier |
| Gotham City |

"It was nice meeting all of you! Good luck on the show!"

I smiled along with my family as we waved goodbye to Mr. and Mrs. Drake, their son following close behind, a photograph of us all in hand. "Thank you!" My mother called, her vibrant blue eyes meeting my own. "Ready Dickie-bird?"

I nodded enthusiastically. "Yes! I came wait! This will be our first show together!" It had taken a couple months of pleading and laborious training to finally convince them to let me perform, and after tonight, it will very much be worth it. The circus had traveled all the way to Gotham City to give a very rich man a show. Bruce Wayne. From what I could tell, he seemed like a kind enough man, but at the same time, he gave off a very mysterious vibe.

"Come on. It's almost time to go on." My father spoke, gently clasping a hand on my shoulder, giving it a light squeeze, with an encouraging smile. Returning said smile, I ran off ahead of them, nearly running into a man in a black suit.

"Sorry!" I apologized, but nearly froze in my tracks as he gave me a piercing glare under the rim of his hat.

"Fucking brat." Was all he mumbled before walking away. Gulping down my fear, I continued on my way.
___________________________________

I watched as my parents waved out towards the audience, my mother soon pulling me closer to join them. The music began playing and the adrenaline was soon pulsing through my body as I watched my parents take off first. Twisting and turning with such grace, it mesmerized even myself, and I've watched this act dozens of times!

My mother landed next to me, giving me a gentle smile. "It's time." I felt my body buzzing with excitement.

The quadruple flip with no net.

Mom went first, flipping so quickly, you almost missed it. Next was a dad, the way he did it was almost heart stopping. Now. It was my turn. Gripping the bar, I swung, a smile gracing my features as I got myself ready, mom hanging on the other bar by her legs, ready to catch me. Taking a deep breath.

I released it in a gasp.

My eyes widened as I felt my ropes snap. I couldn't scream, I couldn't utter a sound, I was frozen as I felt myself plummeting towards the ground.

"Dick!!"

I'm going to die..?

Then I felt something wrap around my body. Arms? My watery gaze met my parents as they stared at me with grim smiles. "M-mom? Dad?"

I felt as they both gently kissed my face, as they snuggled me closer into their bodies, as they muttered those three words I would never forget; "We love you."

Then I felt us hit and everything turned black.

When I woke, all I could hear was screaming. My vision was blurred, but I could still see the silhouette of people running. What?

I could barely feel the pain shooting up my arm and in my head. Using my other hand, I gingerly touched my forehead, looking at my fingers to only find blood. I could feel myself panicking. I then looked at my arm and had to stop myself from puking. The bone was piercing through the skin, but what quickly caught my attention was what I was laying on.

Both sets of eyes wide open, bodies bent every which way and a puddle of blood surrounding us. The first thought to come to mind; dead.

My parents were dead.

They had died to save me.

My fault.

All my fault.

And I screamed. I screamed until everything grew black once again.
______________________________

It had been three months since that day and nothing had gotten better. I had learned that the person behind it all was a man by the name of Tony Zucco.. the same man I had run into before the performance.

Apparently, Batman had arrested him. He was in a body cast for a couple months after and is now facing life in prison. Why he isn't receiving the death penalty is beyond me, but as long as I have to never see his face again, I don't care.

"Hey, freak!"

I groaned as I was roughly pushed against the wall, a group of detention center kids surrounding me. Beaten black and blue on a daily basis, and constantly having my mental health chipped away at has been my life for these last few months. Apparently, the orphanages had been too full and the state didn't want to be bothered with that of a circus brat.. not that an orphanage would be any better, it would just be simpler to run away from.

But, that didn't matter anymore, because I am getting out tonight, and I'm going to start a life of my own. Soon, everyone, both villain, and hero will know my name. Soon, I will become known as R.

*********

Author Note:

Surprise!! Did I get ya?! XD

Lol and you all thought I had actually ended the book. Come onnnnn. The story hasn't even reached its peak yet. So, enjoy this chapter while I write what happens after Deathstroke fires the gun. So many ideas, so little time. Thanks for reading!!

-JJ