(Year 3)Chapter 4 : The Flight Of The Fat Lady, Grim Defeat, and Marauders' Map

Samantha's POV

In just no time at all, everyone's favorite class became Defense Against the Dark Arts. Draco Malfoy and his idiots of Slytherin were the only ones who had anything bad to say about Professor Lupin. He's a kind guy and just smiles at me, sometimes telling me of how he knew my parents in his days of Hogwarts. Nobody but Malfoy and his idiots cared if Professor Lupin's robes were patched and frayed. His first few lessons were just as interesting as the first lesson. After boggarts we learned about Red Cap, those things are just annoying and will just wait to bludgeon any potholes or dungeons that have gotten lost. We soon went to Kappas which are like scaly monkeys of whom's hand is itching to strangle unwitted waders in their pond. Harry talks to me sometimes about how he wishes he was just as happy with some of his other class which I gladly understood him since I think of that sometimes too. The most annoying class for me is Potions since Snape is just in a vindictive mood these days for some reason and is just always picking on Neville who doesn't even have a clue to why Snape treats him that way. I started to notice how Snape's eyes fill with menace at the saying of Professor Lupin's name and just the bullying has gotten worse for Neville.

Hagrid has seemed to lose confidence after the action-packed first class since students began to see it become extremely dull. We spent many boring lessons on how to look after flobberworms. At this point, nobody really cared about Care of Magical Creatures but I still kind of did care more than the rest. At the start of September Harry and I had occupied ourselves with the Quidditch season coming and Oliver had called us to a meeting on Thursday evening to discuss new tactics for this coming season. The team was filled with determination, we started our training sessions and I sat in the common room with the trio and Neville was studying a plant as we talked. "What happened?" harry asked Ron, Hermione and I as we completed some star charts for Astronomy. "First Hogsmeade weekend," Ron and I both said as I pointed to the bulletin board. "It's at the end of October. Halloween to be exact." Fred popped up behind me as I jumped, hearing him say "Excellent," Was the first thing he said "I need to visit Zonko's, I'm nearly out of Stink Pellets." Rolling my eyes playfully at my adoptive brother as Harry had thrown himself into a chair. There is always a next time to catch Black, we already have heard that he's been sighted once already. We argued a bit and Hermione opened her mouth but shut it suddenly when her cat leaped in her mouth with a dead, unmoving spider in his mouth. It was cute how he always brought her things as if they were his prize. Ron was just bit nervous of the spider but just didn't bother to do or say anything.

The Halloween feast had finished with entertainment provided by the Hogwarts ghost as they had popped out of walls and tables to do a bit of formation gliding. Neville and I enjoyed it. He and I spent the time of the feast talking about herbology and just life till it was time to go. We followed Harry, Ron, and Hermione as well as the rest of the Gryffindors along the usual path to the Gryffindor tower but something really worried me. We got jammed with students once we reached the corridor. I hear my brother's voice in the front "Let me through, please," he had come bustling importantly through the crowd. "What's the holdup here? You can't all have forgotten the password -- excuse me, I'm Head Boy --" Silence had fallen over and moments later, dumbledore came in. I gasped with the trio in shock when I saw that the Fat Lady had vanished from her portrait, the portrait looked as it had been slashed so viciously that pieces of the canvas were littered on the floor; chunks of it torn off completely. The tip of my hairs had changed to black and white as Neville squeezed my hand, as if he was saying 'relax, everything is going to be alright'. I smiled at him a bit and he also was nervous but hit it well behind a straight face. "We need to find her," said Dumbledore. "Professor McGonagall, please go to Mr. Flich at once and tell him to search every painting in the castle for the Fat Lady." In the end, the portrait was replaced with the portrait of Sir Cadogan and his fat gray pony. He made these hard passwords and even challenged people to duels.