"I have to leave."

Start from the beginning

There's no response from Henry so I stand up curiously to go see what he's doing. He's usually the first one at the table to eat, so why is today different? The door is shut and the living room light is off with the exception of a little antique lamp that Henry insisted on buying at a flea market. I squint my eyes when I spot his shadowy figure sitting on the couch. I exhale and laugh. "You scared me you prick. What're you doing out here in the dark? Dinner's ready." He whispers something after a long pause but I don't catch what he says. "What honey?"

Henry takes in a trembling breath and exhales slowly. I turn on the light and see his hands tightly gripping a tan envelope and a piece of computer looking paper. His hands, though clenched tightly, are shaking. His head is staring at the words on the paper and I see a tear roll down his perfectly crafted cheeks. I rush over to him, completely forgetting about dinner and instead wondering what hurt him.

"Baby what's wrong?" I gush, holding his face in my hands. His watery gray eyes stare into mine and his eyebrows scrunch making wrinkles form in-between the both of them.

"I-I...I have to leave."

Now it's my turn for my eyebrows to pull in. "What do you mean? Why do you have to leave?" His eyes train themselves downwards at the paper so I take it out of his hand nervously. Before I read the words on the paper, I look at the tan envelope and my heart drops to the floor.

On the bottom left corner of the envelope was the official seal of the military.

"No." I whisper.

'Dear Mr. Cavill,

You have been selected for admission and are authorized to report to the United States Military Academy, West Point, New York...'

I drop the paper to the floor and stand up quickly, not believing the words printed on the paper. I let out a sarcastic laugh and scratch my upper arm. "T-Thats a rude fucking joke Henry. I don't like that one bit."

He raises his head and looks over at me painfully. "You think this is a joke?" We stare at each other for a few moments before I shake my head and pace around the room.

"How is this even possible? When do you have to leave? What is happening?!" My chest begins to hurt as I feel tears prick my eyes.

Henry outstretches his hand towards me and I quickly grab onto it, afraid that if I don't then he'll disappear. He pulls me onto his lap so I wrap my arms around his shoulders. "When I was 18 I signed up for a potential draft when I got my license but I didn't think I'd actually get fucking drafted." Henry releases a shaky breath.

"But you're only 24, you're so young.-"

"Baby, people were drafted at the age of 18."

My lips quiver as I unwrap my arms from his shoulders and bury my face into my hands. With thoughts of him fighting in another country for over a year and possibly getting hurt or even killed makes my body shake as I cry. Henry wraps one of his strong protective arms around my torso and holds the back of my head with his free hand, resting his chin on top of my head. He shushes me softly when I start blubbering out incoherent words. Though he doesn't understand what I'm saying, he knows. My words don't have to sound like English for him to understand how hurt I am.

"H-how long?" I look up and see his teary eyes. It struck me right then and there, looking into those watery blue eyes, that I wasn't the only one that's hurting. That he shouldn't be the one comforting when he's the one who needs to be comforted. He's the one going to fight in a war, not me. The only war I'll be fighting is my longing for him while he's away. I won't be handling guns and watching buildings and people blow up. He will.

"24 months."

"Two years?!"

He nods his head painfully and throws his head back into the chair cushion. I see his lip tremble before he rushes his hands up to cover his face. "God, I regret signing up so bad."

Now I wrap my arms around his torso and place my feet on the arm rest. I press my cheek against his chest as he holds me tightly, not budging to let go anytime soon. "Why did you?" I whisper.

I feel him shrug beneath me. "I can't give you an honest answer because I genuinely don't know why."

And then it's quiet for a long time. We're left to think about what the next two years of our lives are going to be like now that he has to leave. Our lives have to be put on hold. We can't travel in the summer like we planned. Marriage? Also has to wait. Children? Obviously have to wait. Buying our first home? On hold. Everything is put to a stop because of this. I'm going to go crazy without him, and I can wait for that to happen.

Henry shifts and then wiggles himself out from under me. I look up at him as he stands. "What're you doing?" I ask confused. He tells me to stay where I am and then disappears down the hallway. He's probably going to go call his family and wants privacy. But then he comes back into the living room holding something behind his back. "Oh, I thought you were going to call your parents or something."

He shakes his head slowly, looking nervous. "No, I'll tell them tomorrow."

He walks over to me and quickly falls to his knee on the floor. I quickly sit up and put my hands on his shoulders. "Are you okay?" Afraid that he hurt himself.

He chuckles. "Yes I'm fine.-"

"Are you sure? You're most likely stressed from finding out and it's taking a quick toll on you."

"Marry me." That shut me up.

I look at him with my mouth wide open as well as my eyes. Did I hear him correctly? Did he just propose? He stares at me and then he widens his eyes, mumbling an "oh" before showing me the black velvet box he was holding behind his back. He opens it and when I see the shiny diamond ring I cover my mouth with my hands and sink into the chair.

"Are you being legit?" I cry, not believing that he actually wants to marry me. Well, I believe it, but it feels so surreal. He finally proposed.

He puffs out some air from his mouth. "I know it's not an extravagant ring and a really special proposal but...I don't know. Feels right. I'll propose again when I come back and it'll be better, but I just want a fiancé to come back to. Like I've waited so long to propose like a tool and I don't know why.-"

"Of course I'll marry you." I whisper, holding his face in my hands.

He grins. "Are you being legit?"

I laugh and nod my head. "Yes!"

He smiles from ear to ear and we stand up. He takes my left hand and slips the twinkling diamond ring onto my ring finger. When it's on I outstretch my arm and stare mesmerized at it. Henry observes me with a soft smile. I throw my arms around his neck and he picks me up from the floor, hugging me tightly as we giggle happily.

This moment.

This moment is something I'll remember forever. It's bittersweet. We somehow managed to momentarily forget about his fate and replaced the sadness with happiness and excitement. When he's away, I'll think of how tightly he's holding me right now and how he's twirling us around the room. I'll think of his face as he held the ring between his fingers, and how the smile didn't leave his face as he stared at me when I was admiring the ring on my finger. I'll look forward to his homecoming and the small wedding we'll have. I'll think of the lives we're going to build together.

But most importantly, I'll think of the sound of his voice soothing me to sleep and telling me he loves me, because even thought he has to leave, my memory of him will never dull.