XIII

A day without you is like a year without rain

Selena Gomez

The saying that one single day without one's beloved was comparable to a rainless year was far more vague than it let on. A year without rain was odd, it was intriguing, it was confusing, it was strikingly new, or painfully uncomfortable like two shoes on the wrong feet.

Most of all though, a year without rain was dry, devout of hope and peace. A year without rain had been stripped of the familiar level of comfortability that had been assigned to practical life and living.

Shawn was upset that he had only just come to acknowledge the phrase, but at the same time, he was still grateful to have figured it out. His upcoming month without Cameron had been a drought. A drought of dry air and harsh winds that coated the cilla of his lungs in dust and had him hacking up absolutely nothing for the sake of it. It was a drought that burned his throat and stung his eyes because it was just that vicious. A most violent drought that brought him to his knees time and time again; all because it could.

     And Shawn loathed it. Why? Because Cameron was water, and paradise, and a bottomless river that in which he longed to swim, fearless to meet his watery grave. Shawn missed hydration, and the clearness of his lungs and the longevity of his breath.

     There were times where he had convinced himself that he needn't think of Cameron because the lad would be back, but there were more often the times where he was worried about whether or not that were actually true. Where he wondered what in the world Cameron could have been up to.

     He almost found it coincidental, —he had been utterly grateful though—  how he had not once spotted Cameron out and about. Granted, he had not been out much, but even still, prior to he and Cameron beginning their intimate relationship, he'd seen the bloke around so often that it had been rather difficult to not make a single advance. Now though, He had seemed to have disappeared from the very face of the big, blue earth.

     Shawn found himself ravaging his refrigerator for the third time that day. His family had made themselves scarce as of late. He presumed it to have been due to the impending anniversary of his birth.

     And there was school as well, he had to gear up for that once more. He had originally desired participation in the online method, (just as Cameron had) but his parents had urged him to attend a four-year university at least so as to 'really get into the university experience.' He didn't protest much though, campus was only but a measly thirty minute drive from home.

     Shawn had hardly remembered being tailored for a suit, but nonetheless it had arrived the day before. Bold he uttered after unveiling the formal dress from its box. The jacket itself boasted an earthy appeal, silver designs placed (but not quite patterned) along the black fabric. He had judged them as moths or butterflies, but he hadn't been quite sure. The jacket itself had come with a pair of trousers that matched, as well as a pair of solid black and more fitted ones that he figured he'd have trouble choosing between.

     The entire getup had been expensive too. "Emporio Armani," he'd noticed after checking the tag, and he had wondered where his parents had suddenly found the money for a two-thousand dollar suit until he noticed a small note tucked neatly into the pocket of the vest which he would failed to discover had he not been curious enough. It had been labelled, and in handwriting that he knew all too well:

Happy Birthday babe. This one's going to be great! Can't wait to see you in this suit. Better yet, can't wait to see you out of it :)

Cam x