Chapter Forty-Five

FINAL CHAPTER

Chapter Forty-Five:

"And you have everything you need packed?"

Adrien laughed and finished tying his black shoes. "Yes, Mom. I even remembered to pack my toothbrush."

His mother gave him the stink eye before straightening out his suit. "I'm surprised you've remembered everything, since you only started packing less than a half an hour ago."

"I guess you could say I'm nervous." He turned and pushed down his suitcase, shoving as much as he could down so he could zip it up.

"Uh-huh, and it's definitely not because you don't want to come to the Inauguration ceremony."

Adrien looked over his shoulder to see his mother with her hands on her hips, as if disapproving his decision to get on on the earliest train leaving that morning.

"Mom, you know how much I've been looking forward to this. It's not that I don't want to attend your Inauguration or anything, but, well... I don't want to attend."

His mom laughed, then came up to him and enveloped him in a hug. "You're silly when you're not constantly on a leash." She kissed his forehead. "Are you sure you don't want to stick around for the rest of the day? There's going to be a big dinner later on tonight."

Adrien shook his head. "I'm sure. Besides, I have a funeral I have to attend."

"That's true." She glanced down at the lump in his suit's pocket, then back at him. "Are you sure that you're ready?"

Adrien could tell his mom wasn't just talking about attending the funeral. He had been lolling over the idea for a few days now and, if he was honest with himself, he felt like they were ready. It was just finding the right time after everything had calmed down.

"I think I am... I mean, I've thought of everything else, but this just seems like the right thing to do."

His mom smirked, then brushed his hair that hung over his forehead aside. "I trust your judgment. You have my blessing, since your father isn't exactly in the right place to extend his own." She paused, then said, "Give Nathanael's family the soon-to-be President's sincerest condolences."

"I will."

Adrien gave his mom one last smile before enveloping her in a tight hug. She smiled and squeezed him in return. They stood there for a little while before Adrien pulled away and scooped up his suitcase. His mother watched him with a sad smile on her face, but didn't say anything. Adrien walked over to the door, but before he left, he glanced back at his room. It was much more empty than it had been before. All of his casual clothes had been packed into his suitcase, which left most of the drawers empty. His bedsheets were gone, the TV was off, the white couch was spotless, and the bathroom had been cleaned out as well.

He'd be coming back, just not anytime soon.

"Adrien," his mom said.

He shifted his attention to her. She had a small tear tracing down her cheek, but a proud smile on her face. Before he knew it, she tossed him something. He was barely able to catch it with one hand, but when he looked at it, the suitcase in his other hand slipped out and hit the floor. It was his silver cat baton, fixed and as clean as ever.

"Call me when you get there safely, okay?"

Adrien looked up and gave his mom a tearful smile.

"I will, I promise."