Chapter Five

I was so glad to drive the last nail into the last rafter so we could leave. I decided to drive past Cora's house and see if I could get a peek of her in the kitchen. It was the only room without a curtain on the window and you could see the interior clearly. I know it seemed as if I were a peeping-tom but I'd only done it a few times.

As I put the tools into their bins, I glanced at Reid and Cole already horse playing. They were like five-year-olds and nothing like seniors in high school.

My phone vibrated when I started for my motorcycle. So I quickly pulled it from my pocket and checked the text.

EVERYONE AT THE TABLE.

I frowned after I read it and wondered what had happened but relayed the message to my boys. "Hey wait up," I called to Cole and Reid as they ran toward their bikes.

"What's going on?" Luca asked, pulling on his leather cut.

Cole clapped his hands together. "I'm ready to get outta here."

"Dad needs us at the table."

They didn't ask why or complain, they just slipped their arms into their cuts, showing off the clubs logo, Night Hawks, straddled their bikes and took off toward the clubhouse.

Dang, I thought. I'd have to try and see Cora tomorrow.

At the clubhouse, Luca and I walked into the meeting room. It was a big room with a table that looked like something out of an old farm house with seats along the sides and at the ends for patch members. The walls were decorated with motorcycle memorabilia and a mural of a hawk and our club name on the big wall. Me, Luca, Cole and Reid sat to the side, under the painting, while Dad, the President sat at the head of the table and the VP, Luca's dad, sat on his left.

Me and my group had only been official members for the past year. We were automatic bids since our dads were original club members who founded the club. There were six members but only four had kids our age. The others were younger and girls.

Dad had it drilled into my head, I would one day lead the Night Hawks the way he did. Maybe I would even start my own chapter in a different county. It was an honor for him to think I was capable but how could I fill his shoes?

He sat at the head of the table with fierce blue eyes and a posture that reflected his confidence. I hoped to be a reflection of him one day.

"The sheriff stopped by earlier," Dad begun.

Oh no, I thought. He knows about Cora and me. I wanted to hang my head for getting her into trouble. That explained why she hadn't come by.

"A couple of weeks ago he arrested a man, Abbott. He was the one responsible for the new drug activity in the district."

All the men around the table expressed their disapproval of the drugs with sighs and words of disgust. It was something as a group we agreed would stay out of the county and away from our families.

"This man has deep pockets," Dad sighed, "With them; he reached out for vengeances against the sheriff."

My heart raced. I scooted to the edge of my seat, waiting for Dad to say what I was afraid had happened.

"The sheriff's daughter is missing."

My breath caught in my throat. The word missing repeated in my head as if it taunted me.

"We need to vote—"

"There's not need to ask," the VP interrupted.

The men erupted into approval as Dad nodded. "We won't stand for this," Dad said.

"Let's find the sum bitch who took her," Billy the Sgt of Arms protested.

I agreed with a nod. I wanted to stand up and cheer, let's go.

Dad lifted his hand off the table, quieting the room. Then his eyes went to me and my friends. "Do you boys know Cora Abrams?"

"We've seen her around school," I admitted, glad the others didn't tell Dad she had been walking past the job sight.

I wouldn't tell Dad that her green eyes and her smile that would melt gold was etched into my brain. I saw her all the time even when I slept.

"The sheriff's been looking for her since 3:30 pm. Her backpack was found at the end of Cider."

I wanted to punch someone in the face. I should've been at school today.

"He has done what he can with no warrants. He has asked us to help." Dad smiled. "No strings."

Leaning forward, I listened to Dad and the others talk. They were figuring out where a group could hide someone in the county. All I could think about was how I could've stopped it, if I had walked to the end of the street or if I had been at school or if I'd walked her home.

"Vince you, Bobby, Billy and Ray head over to the old housing development. Dante you, Luca, Cole and Reid go to the line and check out the old lumber yard. The others will go with me to the warehouse where the sheriff busted Abbott." Dad slammed his gavel and we all headed out the doors into the night air.

I hurried to my Harley and watched as each member started their bike and took off into the darkness. I followed with my crew close behind, hoping to find Cora.