1- I Promise

When we were both about fourteen, I had started feeling like things could not go much worse. Once or twice, I tried to kill my pain, yet it ended in near disaster. Most of the time, August got mad at me and I ended up with bloody slits up and down my arms that wouldn't heal for months. (Sigh..) They brought more shame than you could think. A symbol of my suffering. 

Now, the reason I'm even alive to this moment is because of a promise. You see, I had been planning to do that for months, and the time had finally come. At the time, I was living in the Sycamore household (as both my parents died when I was five), so I snuck out a kitchen knife- only just sharp enough to do great damage. I had planned to commit suicide in front of my enemies. 

Alola's Trainers School was a wonderful place. People and Pokémon could study here together in harmony, yet there were some downs. It was so unlikely that anyone would be treated roughly that the staff were almost always off guard. A student whom you might nowadays know as Ghetsis was the ringleader of the "mean kid" group. Several people were the victims of these "mean kids", such as a tall boy by the name of Lysandre. 

That day as I walked toward the center of the yard, a warm summer breeze blew, seemingly to cover my excitement and partial fear that August would hate me. I stopped walking and brushed my hair out of my eyes. Took a good, long look at everyone. People I loved. People I hated. Everyone deserved to see this. Ghetsis just laughed at me, and so I gripped the knife even harder. 

"All right, everyone. Take a good, long look. Hopefully you won't have to see me much longer." I growled at the sight of Ghetsis and his gang doubling over in laughter. 

I gripped the knife with both hands and positioned it in front of my chest. Augustine screamed with terror and lunged toward me, knocking me down. He grabbed my wrists and pinned them to the ground, supposedly so I could not hurt myself. 

"Get off me, you idiot! Why can't you just butt out for once?!" I had been consumed with more anger than I had ever been in my life. Burning, seething anger and frustration at everyone. 

"No. I won't butt out. Not if you're going to kill yourself! I WILL NOT LET YOU DIE!" He was trying to keep himself from crying, it looked like. Eventually I found my way out of his grasp and swiped at his arm. The blade drew some blood, making him back away clutching the wound. I staggered up to my feet, ignoring the screams of onlookers- "No! Don't do it!" "P-PLEASE! THINK THIS THROUGH!" But all I focused on was laughter. Hurtful laughter. Driving me insane-- I can't take it much longer. 

Before I knew what was happening, I felt the sharp pain in my chest, saw blood flying, was horrified when I realized it was my own. The pain throbbed and the only thing I could hear was the steady drip of blood hitting concrete. My vision started swirling and was blotched out with spots of red until everything went dark and silent. 

I woke up feeling awful. Bright lights shined above me, and the place smelled of bleach. I groaned with frustration when I realized I'm still alive. I tune in to a conversation held just outside the door of my sickeningly white room- a doctor and Augustine. I still remember those words today- 

"One more half-centimeter into his skin, and he would have died. Your friend is extremely lucky, mister Sycamore." Hah. Lucky? Screw that. All I wanted was to end the pain. But well! Here I was hooked up to at least a thousand machines desperately trying to keep me alive whist my chest hurt like hell. 

The day I came back, I promised everyone- Maxie, Archie, Augustine, that little six year old Kukui dude- that I would never hurt myself ever again. They all accepted me again, and I had never been so glad in my life. As for Augustine, something changed. He was around me more. He had later confessed how he truly felt about me. Who would have thought that this... event would bring together two of the most iconic Kalosians?