Because Love Hurts

I ran down the stairs eager to go to the store for a quick little shopping. I was almost ready to go when the bell rung. As I opened the door I found a fist inches away from knocking on my face. At the same time me and the owner of the hand jumped back startled.

I was relieved when I discovered it was just Angel. Angel was 6ft tan skin and broad shoulders. He went to my school and we hung out a lot. Angel was also the best friend of my boyfriend so I wondered what brung him to my place.

"Oh hey its you. What brings you here?" I asked him nonchalantly.

He was quiet and had this intense look on his face. Angel was always joking, laughing and laid back so seeing him like this made me uncomfortable. It wasnt untill I stepped out of the house that I got a good look behind him.

In the background were all of my closest friends huddled together with tear streaked faces and sadness in their eyes. I looked around the circle of seriousness and was suddenly convinced that this was a serious moment.

"Who's there?" my mom yelled from the living room.

"Just a friend ma." I answered her eyeing Angel for a split second.

"Well what does he want?" she asked impatiently.

"I'm not too sure I'll be back in minute." I yelled back up the stairs.

I wasn't sure what was up with him or my friends but Angel really looked drained. I watched him a little longer curious of what I missed.

"So what's up Angel?" I looked up at him.

I could tell he had been crying. his face was flushed as he looked down at me and shook his head.

"Come here." he said quickly dragging me across the street.

I tried to pull away from him. His grip was cutting into my wrist.

"Hey whats the matter with you man?" I yelled pushing him off me.

No one else seemed to think he was acting strange but then again all of them were acting strange.

"Kay..." he said his voice strained as if it were hard for him to speak.

"What?" I pressed on.

"Ian died." he replied.

I searched his face for signs that he was lieing. I couldnt see any but laughed it off anyway. How could my boyfriend be dead? I just talked to him less than an hour ago. Ian was perfectly fine playing at his basketball game.

"What kind of joke is that Angel? You had me worried don't play like that."

He stared at me in disbelief. His eyes seemed to question if I too were joking or not.

"Im not joking Kay, he died today."

I knew he was telling the truth. I could feel it somewhere inside me but couldn't bring myself to face it. Didn't want to bring myself to face it.

I laughed at him again and walked back across the street.

"Guys what does he mean 'Ian died'?" I said motioning towards Angel.

They all began to answer at once but they all said basically the same thing. Angel is serious.

"Prove it." I challenged them seeing how far they were willing to take the joke.

It was Megan, Angel's girl that brung me something on her phone.

"Look even his mom posted on instagram about it. now why would his mother lie to help out with a joke?"

I peered at the tiny screen that showed a graduation picture of Ian and Angel together. I read the tiny caption that said

R.I.P to my son's best friend. he was a good kid with a great future ahead of him. God always takes the most innocent first. such a shame he didn't get to see how good of a life he had ahead of him.

sure enough, it was posted from Angel's mom. I still was in denial though.

"call his mom then." she said trying to prove her point

I did as she suggested but got her voicemail. I told them I would be back and ran upstairs to my mom.

"Ma all my friends are outside telling me Ian died." I explained

" What is it true?" she asked

"I dont know can you call his mom please." I said feeling like I bubble that could pop at any second.

she went in her room and began making calls. I went to the store like my original plans called for and listened to my friend Essy tell me how I'm in denial the whole time. When I got back to my house I took a deep breath and opened the door.

I walked slowly to my moms room and listened as she ended the conversation with Renae. she turned to me as she hung up the phone.

"Ok so I just got off the phone with Ians mom. Its true baby girl."

Once the words left her mouth I collapsed in her arms and cried. I dont know how long I was there or how long I cried. all I know is that when this day was over I swore to never love anyone again because love hurts.