Love Still Hurts

Chance stopped the car in front of his house. I moved to get out when I heard the click of child safety locks. I stared at him in disbelief and found Chance watching me cautiously, then turned my head to stare out the window.

"Katie....Katie look at me." He said slowly. I crossed my arms and looked straight ahead. I heard him curse under his breath at my stubbornness.

"Fine then at least listen to me."

He took a deep breathe.

"What I did wasn't bad, he deserved it. He--he sent you threat letters and he ruined my bike." Chance tried to justify.

I slammed my hand on the dashboard and turned abruptly to face him. He winced at the sound of my voice.

"Did it EVER occur to you that Cameron might not have written the letter?! You're so dumb why do you even care if he sent me a letter! You beat him up over a bike! A bike Chance! It could be replaced." I began yelling at him.

"It can't be replaced Katie! Did you notice how you never met my father before today? That's because he's been away at work for the past two months. I put that bike together with him on the little days I've seen him. It's all I have left to love when he's away. And I care because I love you Katie! Why can't you except that?" he retaliated immediately without giving second thought.

I grew quiet not knowing how to respond to his confessions.

"I'm sorry Chance. I'm sorry I got you into this and I'm sorry I can't love you back." I dabbed the corner of my eyes when I felt the tears begin to build.

"Please... Just let me go home." I sniffed watching as he said nothing and unlocked the doors.

I got out and walked slowly towards my house. When I got to the end of the block I looked back to find Chance still sitting in his car watching me.

As my sad green eyes met his depressed brown irises I realized just how much I was in love with Chance. I turned and continued to walk. I already hurt him enough.

****************

When I got home I cried as the hot water of the shower washed away my cold tears. I got out and put on my pajamas. As soon as I crawled into bed there was a light knock at my window.

Still paranoid by the occurrences earlier today, I approached the window with a lamp. I swung it open only to come face to face with Chance.

"That's your form of defense?" he chuckled  climbing through the window.

"Chance!" I yelled dropping my weapon and hugging him tightly.

"I'm so sorry Kay I shouldn't have hit Cameron." he said wrapping his arms around my waist.

I realized I was crying again and wiped my eyes.

"Why did you come back?" I asked wondering how he could still crawl through my window as if we didn't have a fight.

"It's because you looked back." he told me plainly like it was all the evidence of love he needed.

I closed the window and sat on the bed with him. I tensed when he took my hand in his.

"Katie?" He asked after a long pause of silence.

"Yea Chance?" I said looking at our hands.

"I love you." he said immediately catching my gaze.

"I love you too." I said and watched the smile creep onto his face as he leaned in and kissed me.

We suddenly pulled away when I bang and string of curses came downstairs.

"Did you bring someone with you?" I asked growing nervous and fiddled with my hair.

"No... Is your mom home?" he asked in return fiddling with his fingers.

"No." I squeaked and shut my eyes tightly as foot steps reached my ears.

"Get up quick hide under the bed." Chance whispered as he hid on the other side of the room door awaiting the attacker.

I did as I was told and held my breath trying to silence the loud thumping of my heart. The room door creaked open and I heard a thump of someone getting hit then fall to the floor.

When I seen Chance land unconsciously in front of the bed I suppressed a scream. He was inches away from my hiding spot. I heard my closet door being thrown open an searched then the foot steps came towards my bed.

I looked around listening closely but the room grew silent. That was when I made the mistake of releasing my breath.

"Found ya." A voice said as I was dragged out feet first from under the bed.

************

Heyyyyyy guys amazing cliff hanger right? Who is the attacker? Cameron or Bailey? Leave a comment telling me what you think, and vote for the next chapter =]  c: