A Contented Future

Harriet's POV,

    I watched as the clumsy toddler waddled across the marble floor towards Jaspers awaiting arms. I chuckled as our child shrieked with laughter as he scooped him up. My other toddler the twin to the one in my husbands arms, clung to my skirts. It had been five years since the events that had brought our hearts as one and then we had divided the love we shared with children of our own. These two were three and I was already feeling the stirrings of another in my womb. I sincerely hoped it was just one this time around. I was already six months along, although I was barely showing.

    "Don't you want to play with your brother, Geraldine?" I asked the curly haired little girl.

    I had named the girl after my mother whereas Jasper had named the boy after his father, James. James took after me, with his big, soulful lilac eyes and Geraldine took after Jasper with gentle green eyes. Geraldine cowered by my skirts, she was a little slower learning things than her brother but that didn't mean we didn't love her any less.

    "Mummy, I don't know." She whispered.

   I bent down and pushed her hair out of her eyes, I smiled. She gave me a beaming smile in return, one that made my heart glow.

    "You won't know until you try, James would love to play with you. Go chase him with the wooden sword, your uncle gave you. Girls aren't meant to sit still and look pretty, I didn't. I saved your father from a terrible fate." I soothed.

    I would instil those words into my daughter telling her to choose her own fate instead of having one thrust upon her. She would grow up wise and good, instead of ignorant. She gave me a hug,

   "You are the bravest person I know." She lisped, a little.

    I bopped her on the nose,

     "No, you're the bravest, my darling." I smiled again.

    I watched as she sucked in a breath before yelling a war cry and charging at her brother who'd been set down. James yelped as Geraldine chased him round a plant pot. I giggled at the antics of our children. I felt Jaspers arms wrap around my waist as he pressed a kiss to my cheek,

   "You think she'll save a prince someday like you did?" He mused.

     "I don't think, I know, Jasper. I'm leaving out the part of you being a spider until they get older. Poor James terrified a maid this morning when he found one in the bath. I reckon he won't bathe for a week." I placed my palm on Jaspers cheek.

    He kissed my palm and chuckled,

     "So kind and sweet, Hattie. This one will take after you, my love."

       He placed a palm on my stomach and smiled when he felt a kick. He came round to face me and kissed me swiftly on the lips, much to the dismay of our children who made rather lovely gagging noises.

     "Just wait until they're older, it won't be so bad. We make a rather charming family, one filled with love and hope." Jasper smiled.

     I didn't answer as I pulled him in for another kiss, I pulled away and whispered,

      "Yes we do, my heart."