Hopefulness

Jasper's POV,

I liked her, she was different. Much better than those stuffy princesses I'd met. I climbed onto my horse and galloped back to the castle. I looked forward to seeing her at the ball the next day. I stopped at the stables, leapt off and handed the reins to the stable boy. I gave Tinker a final pat before entering the castle. My mother was waiting for me,

"I know where you went, Jasper." Her voice was laced with distrust for me.

"You do?!" I was a little startled.

"I'm not completely thick." She snapped.

"Once more I am sorry, mother." I ran a hand through my hair.

My mother gave a heavy sigh and shooed me away. Ever since my father had died in the war that tore kingdoms in two, my mother had always been worried. It was her and I because my eldest brother now ruled a kingdom with his wife at the edge of a barren sea. The rain was lashing down and lightning forked across the sky. A footman bowed and said,

"Sire, the tailor is here for your fitting."

"Thank you." I said gruffly.

The last thing I wanted to do was stand stiffly while I was measured and prodded with pins. I followed behind a butler who had taken directions from the footman. I stared out of the window of the room I was ushered in. Tonight several hundred carriages would arrive with eligible maidens from all over the land, Miss Muffet included. I did not care about those stuck up, pampered woman, it was only her I wanted. I did not think I wanted to marry her, perhaps I could befriend her. Perhaps she could break the curse which had befallen me without love. But one could not live without true love, could they? Life would be very difficult if one did not care for each other.

The colors I had chosen for the ball were coal black and light green. I did not want to stand out. There were a few eligible male suitors looking for wives as well. The tailor finished and I changed behind the screen.

"You'll look marvellous tomorrow, your Highness."

"Thank you." I felt a little bored.

I left the room. My mother had set it up so that when it came to lunch I would be allotted a certain number of princesses to try and woo. I was allowed to eat during that time but the maidens had eaten before so no fainting spells would occur. I had a few hours before the chaos ensued. I went to the library. After I'd been there an hour, I heard giggles and then,

"Oh, he's rather handsome, Gisselle."

"Mhmm, Cecilia."

I turned to the voices. Joy oh joy, they'd found me and I thought the library was safe. One of the woman was blond. Her fairies must of gifted the usual at birth. Hair like stardust, skin like porcelain and a voice like twittering birds. Her eyes were the color of mud. Well, not every princess was perfect. The other one had raven hair and skin the color of milk, her eyes were a stormy grey. They were both shorter than me by a head. I was a little annoyed by their giggles.

"Good afternoon, ladies." I said politely.

"Good afternoon, sir." They chorused back.

These were the women I had to try and woo? Seriously the competition was getting weaker. One word from me and they'd swoon. I got up and sneakily left the room through a secret passage when their backs were turned. I headed to the grey room where lunch was being served. After that it was time to meet my suitors.