Chapter 1 - The Sea of the Ives

D'Jaitiliex was the leader of the jewel army, this small but deadly group resided in the Sea of the Ives Castle. Inside the castle walls, a small community worked together to preserve their way of life. For this contained community did not answer to the King, they kept themselves to themselves and protected each other. The Jewel Army swore to protect their way of life and their leader always kept her people's best interests at heart.

The castle was very tall and stood solo on a rocky island a mile out into the sea. A long stone pathway with walls each side stretched from the castle entrance to the mainland.

The tide would rise and fall each day, sometimes making access in and out of the Sea of Ives Castle near impossible. In winter times storms and high tides cut the castle off completely for weeks at a time, sometimes as much as a month or two. The farmers inside the castle walls worked hard throughout the year to keep supplies high enough to make it through the treacherous winter months, but The Sea of the Ives prided itself on being an independent rock.

D'Jaitiliex was a proud woman and never referred to herself as a queen of any sort. She considered herself as an honest and proud leader. Often dressed in her military attire, she dealt with every situation involving the people within her walls, whether it be the price of wheat or a disagreement between people. D'Jaitiliex was always on hand and had time for everyone under her protection. Fair but firm she always earned the respect of her people, and in return they all knew it was better to be within the walls rather than outside of them.

It didn't always used to be this peaceful. Two years before the War of Flames, D'Jaitiliex was only a teenager and her father was King of the Ives. Ruler of the very castle she now controlled. Her father was indebted to the great King Gaprone, his armies were Gaprone's armies and nothing was ever done without the great kings say so.

Her father D'Juaroun Rubens was indeed King of the Ives, but the castle was virtually cut off from the main lands. They relied heavily on supplies from King Gaprone, even if at times he made the availability of goods scarce at certain times of the year.

Castle Ives was not independent, and its crumbling walls were in desperate need of repair. The treacherous mile walkway was nothing more than jagged rocks, and Chillington regarded its people as dregs and a drain on resources.

But none the less King Rubens would not uproot his small community, least not his family.

Life within the city of Chillington did not appeal to the humble King. Greed, crime and corruption was all that Chillington resembled.

"Come now my friend, Chillington will greet you and your people with open arms." Gaprone boldly stated.

"It would seem a wise choice my King, but I cannot force my people to leave their homes."

"Then do as I ask and you will not have to, I will do it for you." A sly grin ran across Gaprone's face. "Abdicate my crown and swear unto Chillington? I cannot do this no matter how many times you ask." Gaprone stood up, the tail of his long blue cloak dragged along the floor as he paced back and forth. The small quarters in which they spoke were filled with hundreds of books. The small glass window allowed the sun to beam down on the floor, the dust danced around and filled the musty room.

"Abdicate. You make it sound like you are giving away your life. You would still have all the rights of a king, but the Sea of Ives would no longer be your burden."

Rubens huffed in response "And you could give me your word on this?"

"Of course, do you not trust me after all these years?"