I

Emily's POV:

Helena took my left hand and gave it a squeeze. I looked up at her and smiled gratefully. She knew how worried I was about high school. It just scared me – meeting new people, having to talk to them everyday.. I knew it was going to be a severe challenge for me.

Luckily, Helena and Jasper were here for me and hopefully, my two best friends will be all I need to make it through these years.

"You'll be fine," Jasper whispered into my right ear, comforting me even more. It takes a lot for him to get close to me, especially after constantly being teased by classmates in middle school [everyone always made jokes saying that we were the perfect couple].

"Thank you, Jasp," I said quietly back, grinning.

We all took a deep breath before stepping inside the building. Immediately, I realised how different this was going to be. Almost everyone was acting out of order – there was a group of jocks laughing so hard that some of them accidentally hit themselves on the lockers, cheerleaders surrounded them giggling and pointing at their phones, the 'punk' group filled the hallway with their loud conversations and so on. I began to observe and analyse, like I always do.

Jocks: I don't fit there. Jasper maintains a fit body, and works out every now and then. Helena is quite athletic and although I'm not that poor at PE, it's not one of my specialties. I like to stay away from physical exercise – how could you not when there's food in the world?

Cheerleaders: I am a little flexible and, personally, I do believe I'm slim enough to join, but it's not on of my interests. Unfortunately, cheerleading takes up a lot of time that can be used for studying.

Punk: That's more Helena. I'm not brave enough to be part of that group.

Emo: Social anxiety is a huge dilemma in my life but I like to stay optimistic – being part of that clique would only bring down my mood and make me dwell over my disorder.

I've always gotten the highest grades, but I wouldn't call myself a nerd or a geek. I don't overstudy, or feel excited at the prospect of learning calculus.

I'm not sure where I'd fit in.

Helena, however, seems to know her place. She locks eyes with one of the punk boys and slowly drifts away from us. I smile – she's always been social. Yes, she does believe she's better than many, and does end up disliking majority of the people she knows, but she can be likeable when she wants to.

When the punk group see her approaching, I see her raise an eyebrow. They'll probably need convincing that she's one of them, but I'm sure she'll fit in soon.

I was right. In less than a few minutes, they're acting as if they're besties. Like I said, Helena is just too likeable.

"What a surprise," Jasper mumbles and I chuckle at him.

"Says you," I exclaim.

"What do you mean?" He stares at me.

"I saw your eyes on the jocks. Go ahead, dude. I don't mind," I tell and he starts smiling.

"You know me too well," he grins and pecks me on the forehead. "Thanks, Emily, see you later!" He yells before heading to the popular, muscular guys.

Although I'm glad my two best friends feel comfortable here, I'm more worried for myself. I'm all alone here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I can't find Jasper," Helena tells me as she takes my hand. School has ended, and we're walking out of class together.

I actually managed to make a friend – in History, I sat next to this girl named Violet. She was extremely cheerful and bright so it was hard not to be instantly friends with her.

"Where was his last lesson?" I question.

She shrugs. "I don't know but he said he'd be waiting outside our classroom at the end."

I nod and say nothing. I'm becoming a bit worried about something and I think Helena has noticed because she glances towards me and asks, "What's wrong?"

Instead of trying to hide it, I voice out my fears. "Jasp's very likeable, Helena. I'm scared that he'll abandon us for all these cooler people."

"Ain't nobody cooler than me, Em," Helena exclaims and I laugh.

"I know but.. You get what I mean, right?"

She becomes serious and nods. "I understand but I'm sure that even if he gets the jocks as friends, they'll never be there to support him like we do. I'm sure he won't forget us."

"They're not the only ones I was worrying about.." I inform Helena and she stares at me with widened eyes.

"Wait, Em.. Are you telling me that you.. Like Jasper?" Helena asks and I notice that she says this with almost a sad tone.

I bite my lip and slightly nod.

She raises an eyebrow and gives a stiff nod back.

"I mean.. I don't know whether I should be worried or not but all these girls here are so much more talented than me-"

Helena stops me from continuing by putting her finger to my lip. "Emily," she says, "You're the most smartest, funniest, prettiest, loyalist, and accepting person I've ever met in my life, and he'd be stupid to think that any girl is better than you in any way. He should be lucky that you like him. I know that a few other people would do anything for what he's been gifted.."

I stare at her confusedly at the last sentence but she pulls my hand and starts marching again. "Now I'm going to make sure that you two get together."

"Wait, what?" I pull myself from her and stop. "Helena!"

"Trust me, I'm certain Jasper likes you back. How could he not?" Helena compliments me again.

"Look, I'm not as amazing as you're making me out to be-" Helena stops me again by taking my hand like before.

We see a guy with a varsity jacket pass us so Helena turns back and shouts, "Dude!"

I duck my head and hide behind her in embarrassment that she would make a bold movement like that.

"Yeah, what?" The guy who has dark hair and brown eyes, questions.

"Have you seen Jasper?" Helena asks fearlessly.

He grins. "Yeah, he's out at the back banging his girl, why'd you ask?"

He sees my face fall in shock, devastation and confusion, and smirks. "Why, were you hoping to get him instead?"

Helena grits her teeth and barges past him, taking me with her. She hurries to the back car park to see whether he's telling the truth or not.

My fears are confirmed as I see Jasper leaning against a wall with a girl close to his face. I hear him whisper, "Baby girl," and that's when I run back into the school with my hands covering my face in order to hide my tears.

Jasper. My Jasper. With someone else.