Before Ao could reach out to me, I shoved her away into a crowd and spun around to run. I pushed past groups and couples, my heart pounding as my legs frantically took me somewhere--anywhere but here. I could hear Ao's voice calling out to me from behind, but not once did my feet falter. Whatever hunger I had before was gone, replaced with the sickening sensation of anxiety in my stomach. There was no burning feeling in my chest because I've ran so much over the past year. I know Ao is fast, an incredible sprinter, so I have to be faster. I have to get away...!

Just to make sure she couldn't catch me, I vaulted over tables of produce, disorganizing anything the vendors had at their booths. People yelled at me and I lost my cap in the run, but I bothered with neither of them. An exit was coming up and the sight of it gave me more strength to propel myself forward faster. More running, more panting, more people getting in my way, more shoving. By now, Ao's position wasn't relevant to me; I must be far from her by now. The exit was getting closer. My heart beat harder. I'm almost there. Almost away.

Then, before my foot could cross the threshold dividing the market and the outside world, Ao suddenly appeared before me with a flicker of light. In the split second I saw her face, her expression was stern and determined. To catch me. I didn't have time to veer out of the way, so I slammed into her. Her footing must have been more stable, because she was able to hold me upright as we stumbled.

"Ellie, why are you running--?"

She was cut off by my elbow smashing into her jaw. Her grip loosened enough for me to slip away from her and keep running. From behind I could hear her footsteps increasing in volume and speed. Without much else to do, I veered left towards traffic. As I ran, I reached for my switchblade, but was tackled down by my legs. I went tumbling and so did the switchblade from my hands.

Hurriedly, I got up on all fours and scrambled for the weapon. But before I could grab for it, a soft, blue glow engulfed the switchblade and it was lifted off the ground away from me. Confused, I whirled around to see Ao standing over me, her hand outstretched towards my weapon, levitating it. When the hell did she learn that...?

"Ellie," she began, her voice heavy with her panting. "Whatever you're doing, stop. Why are you running from me?"

Furrowing my brow, I answered, "It's for your own safety..."

She shook her head and replied, "I think the only harm you've done is elbowing me in the face. Ellie, please, let's talk. It's been a whole year! I've been looking for you--everyone has been looking for you! And you're running away?"

"Things are better off like this," I hissed.

"Why? You're not making any sense," she murmured, a disappointed look in her emerald eyes. Suddenly, the mouths began to whisper, chanting in unison.

kill her kill her kill her

Taken aback by their demand, I turned away from Ao and held my head.

kill her

No. I won't.

tear her eyes out

No. That's not what I want.

make her suffer feed us devour her

No--.

kill her

Stop it!