Ch. 17 The Man with Two Faces

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

THE MAN WITH TWO FACES

The next Lilian ran to the hospital wing. She heard from Hermione and Ron that Harry was in the hospital room after he had a fight with something. She ran into the room with Ron and Hermione.

"Harry!" Lilian and Hermione yelled and stopped themselves from hugging Harry knowing he was sore.

"Oh, Harry, we were sure you were going to -- Dumbledore was so worried -- " Hermione says,

"I can't believe you did that!" Lilian yells. "What...."

"The whole school's talking about it." Ron said. "What really happened?"

The real story was even more confusing, strangling and exciting than the rumors. Harry told the, about Quirrell, the mirror, the Stone and Voldemort. Lilian, Hermione and Ron gasped at all the right places and when Harry told them what was under Quirrell's turban, Hermione screamed out loud.

"So the Stone's gone?" Ron asked finally. "Flamel's just going to die?"

"That's what I said, but a Dumbledore thinks that -- what was it? -- 'to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.'"

"I always said he was off his rocker." Ron said, he was quite impressed,

"So what happened to you two?" Harry said.

"Well, I got back all right." Hermione said. "I brought Ron round -- that took a while -- and we were dashing up to the owlery to contact Dumbledore when we met him in the entrance hall -- he already knew -- he just said, 'Harry's gone after him, hasn't he?' And hurtled off to the third floor."

"D'you think he meant you to do it?" Ron said, "Sending you your father's cloak and everything?"

"Well." Hermione exploded. "If he did -- I mean to say that's terrible -- you could have been killed."

"No, it isn't," Harry said thoughtfully. "He's a funny man, Dumbledore. I think he sort of wanted to give me a chance. I think he knows more or less everything that goes on here, you know. I reckon he had a pretty good idea we were going to try, and instead of stopping us, he just taught us enough to help. I don't think it was an accident he let me find out how the mirror worked. It's almost like he thought I had the right to face Voldemort if I could...."

"Yeah, Dumbledore's off his rocker, all right," Ron said proudly.

"Listen, you've got to be up for the end-of-year feast tomorrow. The points are all in and Slytherin won, of course -- you missed the last Quidditch match, we were steamrollered by Ravenclaw without you -- but the food'll be good."

At that moment, Madam Pomfrey bustled over.

"You've had nearly fifteen minutes, now OUT" she said firmly.

The next day was the end-of-year feast and Lilian said by her friends and looked at the Slytherin colors of green and silver to celebrate Slytherin's winning the house cup for the seventh year in row. A huge banner showing the Slytherin serpent covering the wall behind the High Table.

There was a hush that went over and she looked around, Harry had walked in and in the next second everyone started talking. Lilian sighed and watched as Harry took a seat between Ron and Hermione and waved at her. People were standing up to look at him.

Dumbledore arrived moments later and the babble died away.

"Another year gone!" Dumbledore said cheerfully. "And I must trouble you with an old man's wheezing waffle before we sink our teeth into our delicious feast. What a year it has been! Hopefully your heads are all a little fuller than they were... you have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before next year starts....

"Now, as I understand it, the house cup here needs awarding, and the points stand thus: In fourth place, Gryffindor, with three hundred and twelve points; in third, Hufflepuff, with three hundred and fifty-two; Ravenclaw has four hundred and twenty-six and Slytherin, four hundred and seventy- two."

A storm of cheered and stamps broke out from the Slytherin table. Draco was banging his goblet on the table.

"Yes, he's, well done, Slytherin." Dumbledore said. "However, recent events must be taken into account."

The room went still and Slytherin smiles faded away slightly.

"Ahem." Dumbledore said. "I have a few last-minute points to dish out. Let me see. Yes.."

"First -- to Mr. Ronald Weasley."

Ron went purple in his face, he looked like a radish with a bad sunburn.

"... for the best-played game of chess Hogwarts has seen in many years, I award Gryffindor house fifty points."

The Gryffindor. Here's nearly reached the bewitched ceiling, the stars overhead quivered. Percy was telling the other perfects, "My brother, you know! My youngest brother! Got past McGonagall's giant chess set!"

There was a silence.

"Second -- to Miss Hermione Granger.. for the use of cool logic in the face of fire, I award Gryffindor house fifty points."

Hermione buried her face in her arms and burst into tears. They were a hundred points up. "Third -- to Mr. Harry Potter.." Dumbledore said. The room went quiet. "... for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor house sixty points." Gryffindor now had four hundred and seventy-two points -- the same as Slytherin.

Dumbledore raised his hand and the room gradually went silent.

There are all kind of courage." Dumbledore said, smiling. "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends. I therefore award ten points to Mr. Neville Longbottom."

An explosion had erupted from the Great Hall. Harry, Ron, and Hermione stood up to yell and cheer as Neville went white with shock and disappeared under a pile of people hugging him. Harry, still cheering, bulged aron in the ribs and pointed at Draco who looked stunned and horrified.

"Which means..."  Dumbledore called over the storm of applause. Most of the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuffs were cheering as well. "We need a little change of decoration."

He clapped his hands and in an instant, green hangings became scarlet and silver became gold; the huge Slytherin serpent vanished and a towering Gryffindor lion took its place. Professor Snape and Professor McGonagall shook hands as He gave her a horrible, forced smile.

It was an amazing evening and the exam results came. Lilian had the highest grade in Ravenclaw and Hermione had the highest in Gryffindor, their grades were equal but didn't in other subjects.

"You did better in Potions!" Hermione said.

"But you did better in Transfigurations!" Lilian said

"You're Charms were better!"

"But your Herbology is even better."

"But you bet me in Defense Against the Dark Arts!"

"Have you seen your History of Magic!"

"Our Astronomy grade is the same!" They exclaimed together.

Ron and Harry rolled their eyes. Next thing you know the wardrobes were empty, their trunks were packed the notes were handed out to all the students, warning them not to use magic over holiday and they walked down to the fleet of boats that sailed across the lake and boarded the Hogwarts Express. Lilian spent most of the time with her Ravenclaw, Slytherin and Hufflepuffs friends laughing and talking together. They passed Muggle towns and pulled off their wizard robes and put their jackets and coats one soon they pulled into platform nine and three quarters at King's Cross station.

"Bye!" Lilian yelled, most Wizarding students either walked pass the Muggle platform or stayed in the Wizarding side. She looked around and noticed her Godfather. He said nothing to her and simply disapparated.

She tried not to throw up and walked inside,