Chapter 1: Where it all began

[A/N: This first chapter is kinda jumpy (sorry), but it lays out the basics. Enjoy!]

Josh's P.O.V:

"Hurry up, Josh you're gonna miss the school bus!" I heard mom yell from upstairs. She ran down and handed me my lunch.

"Mom, I'm seventeen, you don't need to make my lu-"

"Take care, sweety." She gestured for me eagerly to leave, so I walked out the front door and skipped up the steps onto the school bus. I walked along the aisle and got jerked a little as the bus started moving. I swung myself onto the seat my best friend Tyler had saved for me.

"Hey man," He said with a relaxed, tired tone. We fist bumped. The bus suddenly jerked to a stop again at some red lights and my bag fell open, causing the books to spill all along the bus. Everyone was laughing at me. Except Tyler, of course. School life is hard.

Tyler's P.O.V:

When I was sitting at home eating dinner, mom and dad were shouting at each other again. "It's not my fault! I want another child as much as you! It's just... not possible," (but is it plausible? oops, sorry) Mom and dad have been wanting another child for a while. Mainly to keep me company, and I admit I am seventeen already but it's their choice, I guess. "Did you see Josh's neighbors recently had another child? How does she manage it at her age? The kid's pretty cute though," My mom said.

"Why don't you just steal her then?" I replied, under my breath.

"Excuse me Tyler, you watch your sassy mou-"

"Wait that's it!" My dad randomly shouted.

"What, we steal a kid?" I laughed.

"No." He glared at me. "We adopt one."

"I hadn't thought about it like that... I'll go and look up the nearest adoption center in Columbus, Ohio," My mom and dad left the room and I continued to watch the Fresh Prince of Bel air.

Your P.O.V:

Ever since my dad went to prison and my mom started abusing me soon after, I was sent to an adoption center in Columbus, Ohio. I've been staying here for a while and I hate it. The kids at school make fun of me A LOT. Correction, they used to.

I got sick of them picking on me for not having a 'proper' home, and so one day I got in a fight and (although it goes against all my personality traits) beat up this boy named Adam, the biggest dick at my school. I heard he once raped this girl in the year below him, but that was hopefully a rumor. Hopefully. Since then, all the kids have been scared of me and I put on a brave face for them.

I hate my life, and I want a fresh start away from this dump. A fresh, fresh start. It's not like I'm getting anywhere, and I can't spend another day suffocating in my own thoughts.

- - - - -

Tyler's P.O.V:

It's been a couple weeks and although I seem really chilled, I'm so excited. Mom, dad and I are going to the adoption center to see if there is anyone to join the Joseph's family. I'm gonna get a sibling! It sounds like I'm getting a pet dog, but whatever. I have no idea how adoption centers work, only that it takes a while to get registered. As I thought this, I saw my dad pull over by my grandparent's house, for some reason.

It's about three stories high, the bricks painted a faded beige color, and they have a large patch of lawn out front, and out back they have a small chicken farm and they have some space to plant wheat and other stuff. It's kinda like a farm. There is a massive garage attached, which is where they keep their tractor, and the metal door is starting to rust.

My mom knocked on the door and my grandpa opened it.

"Hey dad," She greeted. "Is it okay if I talk to you for a sec?" We walked in altogether and sat down on and old, and low down sofa. I was confused, but didn't say anything. The inside of the house had a warm, biscuity-old smell about it. I like it.

"Is it okay if Tyler stays here for a couple hours?" What? Oh wait- "We are just going to the adoption center a couple miles away. We'll be back as soon as possible," I sighed as it dawned on me.

- - - - -

"So they drove off? Just like that?" Josh asked. We were in the park a couple streets away from my house and we were walking in circles around our favourite tree, only stepping on the roots of it. The tree is located in the corner, away from all the swing sets and noise. I sometimes just come here to think, because it's peaceful. It's where Josh and I have hung out since we were kids.

"Yeah, I didn't even get to choose who I'm gonna live with for the next couple years. It really sucks." I sighed.

"It's still sick that your getting a brother though," he said, giving me an encouraging smile.

"I don't know if it's gonna be a boy yet, though. Although I wish you could be my bro. I mean you are, but my bro bro, y'know?"

"Yeah," he laughed. "I know."

~ ~ ~