Chapter 10 - Diplomatic Immunity

Chapter Ten – Diplomatic Immunity

26th Apr 9:30 AM

Cassius walked calmly down the street, the rest of the Argonauts and I watched from scattered points leading up to the entrance of the building. If anything didn’t go according to plan we would be ready to tear apart any threats that emerged. The captain wore a long coat over her armour, covering it discreetly as she passed through the swarms of people. As she drew closer Athena’s voice suddenly blared out over the speaker system of the plaza.

“-To the guards of the United Nations, an Archaean ambassador will now reveal themselves. This ambassador claims diplomatic immunity, and wishes to discuss a matter of grave importance to both of our species. Any aggressive action will be responded to accordingly.-”

The guards swivelled, training their guns in every direction in search of the Archaean.

“-This representative of our species is unarmed, and will approach the gate in good faith.-” Athena continued, “-We only ask that you listen to what she has to say, and then make a decision. She will approach now.-”

The crowd stepped away from the entrance, shocked, leaving Cassius striding alone towards the building. Very slowly she removed the coat in full view of the soldiers, to reveal the Archaean armour underneath, minus the E.P Gauntlet. The soldiers visibly tensed, but held their fire as the captain stopped at the gates. The Argonauts all watched cautiously from within the gathering crowd of onlookers, prepared to leap in at a moment’s notice.  The gates quickly opened before a small detachment of soldiers rushed forward to escort Cassius in.

As she entered the compound, flanked by dozens of steely-eyed gunmen, the Argonauts and I dispersed. We would watch the events from back on North Brother Island; a microscopic camera tucked away in a chink in Cassius’s armour would provide us with a live feed. When we were a suitable distance away we converged on a pre-arranged alleyway, each grabbing the shoulder of a twin to teleport away. If we were needed it wouldn’t take very long for us to return. Besides, just waiting outside was pointless and suspicious. Cassius may be going in unarmed, but an Archaean was never defenceless.

The world span as the twins took us away, back to the island where we could observe the exchange between two species.

Cassius walked slowly through the large doors of the building, aware of the many sets of eyes watching her. The guards escorted her at a steady pace to the elevator, never taking their eyes off her for a few second or their fingers off the triggers of their guns. Four of the soldiers walked into the confined space with her, clearly uneasy about being in close proximity with such a dangerous being.

She contained herself, supressing a tiny smile of satisfaction. Before the doors slid closed one woman hesitantly walked forward, clearly petrified about being nominated to approach the Archaean.

“The representatives would feel more comfortable if you were to wear these,” she squeaked apologetically, shakily holding out a pair of handcuffs.

Cassius nodded, holding out her wrists so that they may be bound. To tell the truth, she could snap the handcuffs easily by merely bringing her wrists apart with force; but if it made the humans feel safer there was no reason to object. The young woman’s hands were so shaky though that she lost her grip, sending the manacles clattering to the floor.

Cassius half-smiled, reaching down and picking them up herself. Instead of returning them to the girl she fastened them herself, closing them tightly around each wrist. The soldiers were surprised by this, but stood silently while the elevator doors closed. She caught one last look at the terrified woman’s face before they began to ascend. Even now the soldiers didn’t relax, remaining just as cautious of her.