Pa introduced me to his friends and soon the laughter floored in with their jokes.

"Where is Evan? I haven't seen him the entire time. I hope he doesn't ditch his old man today." He said chuckling to himself.

Evan. Yes, the name made me nervous but in a good way.

"He wouldn’t dare to do that to you. I’m sure he’ll be here anytime now. You know he loves and idolizes you." Evan was closer to his grandfather than to his own father. He absolutely adored him.

"Well then he better show up soon.” I hoped that too.

*****

"Ah man, I just love these parties. Woah Rose! you look beautiful." I heard Adrian, one of my co-workers, give me a once over. I thanked him.

I was grateful to have Claire join me. My co-workers we’re nice people but they were a lot to take in. But I got along well with Claire despite our opposite personalities. She was a party girl. I, on the other hand, avoided going to parties as I found them too exhausting.

Growing up with strict parents, I was always taught to be a good girl. Me and my sister we’re always raised to follow the path of Christ and any kind of partying or wild behavior was always discouraged.

Adrian turned out to be the funny guy with all the jokes up his sleeves. He had a charming personality and that was one of his best attributes.

Suddenly the crowd went silent and all the gazes were directed towards the door. I too followed their gaze and saw the man who had my heart pumping fast. He looked handsome as ever with his blue eyes and dark brown hair. His perfectly sculpted jaw had short stubble and the charm on his face gave him a God-like beauty. He was dressed in an Armani. The luxurious fabric of his tailor-made suit hugged his body perfectly. How was it possible that he looked more handsome now each time I saw him?

Evan spread his arm sideways and a beautiful brunette, that seemed familiar, clung to his sides flashed him a smile. She had the same smile on her face that every woman with blood still running through her veins had when Evan Carter touched them.

The pain that pierced my heart was masked by my fake smile.

Angela White.

Angela was a famous supermodel who was often sported as these type of events. She carried herself well with a figure hugging silver off-shoulder dress that enhanced her bust. She was everything I was not. The paid had all the eyes in the room.

“They make a stunning couple." Laura spoke in my ear. Of course she knew how much it hurt me to see them together but she just wanted drama and I wasn’t going to give her that.

Every time I saw Evan with another woman I wished it was me. I told myself that someday it would be us linking our arms together. Someday, he would look at me like I meant the world to him. Someday he’d love me like I loved him.

Tears made their ways in my eyes. I quickly dabbed them with a paper napkin so that nobody would see them. I hated that I had to pretend. I hated that I couldn't be with Evan. I loved him more than I had ever loved anyone.

It wasn’t a secret. Every one of the Carters knew my feelings for him. Evan himself was aware of how madly I was in love with him.

Each time I’d see him with another woman, my heart would shatter into a thousand pieces. I had learnt to pick those pieces but the pain never went away.

For the world I was just an assistant to the CEO and nothing more. But I was more than just a girl who was in love with him.

I was his wife and he was my husband.

I was Rose Carter, Evan's Rose.

---*-*-*---

Check out the first look of my new book 'Dangerous Illusions' if you love Mafia Romance stories.

Follow me on Instagram @authoreval for teasers on the next chapter and to know about my next book. You can also DM me fan arts to have your work featured in the upcoming chapters

Your support is highly appreciated.

- MissR12.