28. Love In All Adversities

Start from the beginning

Dorothea’s scream was the next to catch their attention. The group now turned as they could clearly see another shadow man emerging from the forest. Just like the other one, this too took the form of Oliver.

Hershel caught movement in the side of his eye and saw the third one, entering from the town’s direction, just behind Oliver.

The man himself was still grinning, ecstatic at the fact that he was in complete control.

The three shadow mean moved on, until it seemed that they wouldn’t stop and crush all the tiny people below, but they came to a short halt just before entering the clearing.

The members of Team Layton moved closer together until they were surrounding the still tied up Gatherers. None spoke as they gazed in fearful awe at the spectacle before them.

“What is the meaning of this?!” Hershel cried. “How is this possible?”

“What?” Oliver teased, brushing at his finger, now free of the ring. A red mark was clear on his finger showing that the man never took it off. Hershel suspected he had never taken it off since the first night he got it. “Do you mean that I can’t provide miracles without the ring?”

“This is impossible!”

“No, this is quite real, I assure you. I don’t need the ring. I have mastered the ‘impossible’. I can do whatever I desire!”

“That is absurd, Oliver. Explain yourself!”

“Oh, Layton, you clearly aren’t easily fooled. Yes, these are illusions still, but these are rather different to those I created from the ring. This is what is called: Sensory Control. I don’t need the ring of an ancient civilisation to do my work. I have mastered the use of the Folsense gas. These aren’t merely illusions. Whether you believe in them or not, if you are even brought into believing them for a second, well… it could leave you in a nasty shape.”

“I don’t understand.” Flora chided, approaching the Professor and Oliver.

“Basically, little girl.” The Heartbreaker smirked. “If you buy into the deception, and something were to happen to you, say… you die. Your mind will totally believe it. If your brain believes it. Then your body will cease to function.”

“That’s horrible!” Katia gulped, shivering. She had to grab onto her grandparents for support. They too were just as solemn as her.

“It is!” Oliver chuckled, staring up at his mighty creations. “And this is why I chose these to be your end.”

“We shall not die tonight!” Hershel protested, taking a determined step forward. “Not as long as I have this!”

He pulled the small Miracle box out from his pocket and raised it high.

“And what is that?!” Oliver queried, ignoring the cheers of the group behind the Professor.

“This is a little box of miracles given to me by an old friend.”

“And with that, you think you can win?!”

“I do not think it. I know it!”

“Well then, I guess I shall have to adjust that.”

Hershel gasped as the box appeared to melt between his fingers. He tried to focus, remembering it was only an illusion.

He knew that in reality, the box was still there. As he went to reach for it, he could still feel nothing. He felt as though his mind was clear, but something was terribly wrong.

“Are you looking for this?!” Oliver boomed, raising his arm, the box clear to see in his outstretched hand.

Once Oliver saw the defeated look upon the Professor’s face, he drove it home. He crushed the box in his hand, like a piece of paper; it crumpled and folded in on itself.