What do you have in mind?

Start from the beginning

He rubbed his hand over his face tiredly. "Be right there, Cap. I'll wake the others."

I nodded and moved over to the other side of camp, rousing men quietly and giving directions. I signaled for the sentries to come in and headed back to May. She was right where I'd left her, tapping at the tablet to bring up building plans. I waited for everyone to come in closer before giving them their instructions. We broke camp and started making preparations.

The plan went off without a hitch. I tossed May up high enough so she could reach the branches of the tree we'd chosen for her and ran around to wait for her signal. A couple minutes later, the gates were open and we rushed inside. Jack blew the main door and we tossed in a couple gas cylinders, giving them enough time to take effect.

I was the only one without a mask on, having given mine to May. The gas didn't really affect me, but too much would give me one hell of a headache - and it smelled funny. We only had to fire one shot total, and that was when May had to take out the lookout with her icer.

We got to work, rounding up the passed out soldiers, disarming them and locking them in the holding cells we found. There weren't very many soldiers here, only about a dozen in all. There were a lot of noncombatants that we found slumped over computers, though. We rounded them up as well, putting them in another cell. I worked my way up to May, finding her working at the computer in the lookout.

"Did you have any problems, May?"

"Not with him, no. I'm setting up a window for Skye so she can access their computers. Would you call her and get her on a secure line for me? This system's acting strangely."

"On it." I pulled out my phone and started the encrypted call to a line on the bus. Skye answered right away.

"Skye, it's Captain Rogers." I pulled the phone away from my ear as she squealed. "Skye, please calm down. I'm here with May and she wants to talk to you." I put the phone on speaker and held it so May could talk into it.

"Skye, what have I told you about fangirling?" May chided her.

"Sorry Steve," Skye said contritely.

"I'm almost done with your window," May said then. "Can you get through from your side?"

"Not yet. I can tell you've bypassed their security encryption; has it been giving you error messages yet?"

"Yes, and I've ignored them all. How do I tie in the uplink so it doesn't trigger the failsafe?"

"Give me one minute here and I'll redirect the data stream so it loops back through." I could hear her typing rapidly over the phone. "I'm in. Tell me what the set up looks like physically from where you're sitting."

"The monitor is tied into a security console," May said. "I've got a lot of switches and gauges. Do I need to flip anything?"

"Yes. There should be a toggle switch labeled 'wireless feed' or something similar. Switch that one off."

"Camera feed?" I said.

"Yup. Is there only one or is there a row of them?"

"I've got four in a row. All the same position right now."

"Switch them all off," Skye ordered. I flipped the switches.

"Done," May said.

"Great - now erase the last hour's footage and they'll never know you were there," she said cheerily.

"Copy that. Are you getting what you need, Skye?" I asked.

"Yeah," Skye said and I could hear her typing rapidly. "Oh shit – you guys need to see this!"

"Put it on the monitor for us if you can," I said.

"I can. Fitz, go get the rest of the team. Tell them it's urgent." I shared a look with May as we watched the computer monitor in front of us. A new box popped up that showed the plans for another Hydra base a couple of hours from here.

"May, are you seeing what I'm seeing?" I asked in horror as I saw pictures of weapons popping up on screen along with blueprints for other weapons. They were all based off the Tessaract technology I thought I had destroyed in '45.

"Yeah," she breathed. "Steve. I really don't like the looks of this."

"Skye, forward this to Director Fury ASAP," I ordered. "We're on our way out of here now."

"Will do. May, we'll be at the rendezvous in a half hour," Skye said.

"Tell them to expect company," May said, meeting my eyes. "I'm bringing Captain Rogers and his squad, too - if that's all right with you, Captain."

I nodded. It would be best to let them drop us at the next target since they were already so close.

"Sweet!" Skye cheered.

"We're going to need to be ready to move as soon as we get our orders," I said as the line went dead and I put my phone away, looking at May.

"My thoughts exactly. I'm not going to let them bastards slink off to their lair again."

"I still need to call in the cleanup squad and we should head down to the courtyard. You'll need your mask, though. It's still pretty strong in some places."

She put on the bulky mask, gesturing for me to lead. We moved through the base, doing a final check and sending everyone to the courtyard. My men had done a good job and I didn't find anything to be concerned about.

"Listen up!" I said loudly, waiting briefly for their undivided attention. "We're going to be hitching a ride with Agent May for right now. New intel suggests Hydra's on the move and since we're already close to the location, our team will be taking on this new mission. Follow whatever orders Agent May gives you, copy that?"

"Copy, Captain," they chorused, looking over to May intently - a hint of hero worship in their gaze.

She rolled her eyes at me but led the way into the woods to her rendezvous point. We made it there in good time; it wasn't long before May pressed a button on a remote and a Quinjet uncloaked. I opened the ramp and we all loaded up, May heading for the cockpit.

"You know how to fly one of these things yet, Rogers?"

"For the most part," I said. "I haven't done it on my own yet."

"Take the co-pilot chair, and I'll watch you after we get in the air," she said, flipping the switches to initiate vertical takeoff. "Who's been teaching you?"

"Romanoff and Barton. They usually let me try to fly when we're on our way back and not in a hurry."

"With or without smartass comments?"

"It's Romanoff and Barton," I said, thinking that was explanation enough. "I think their pictures are in the dictionary under the definition of smartass."

May smiled and lifted off skillfully. I flipped the switches to rotate the wings after we had cleared the trees and we headed for the bus. I wasn't sure why they called it a bus when it was obviously an airplane, but that's what they referred to it as.