Change of Plans

Sarah's POV

My phone went off while we were walking in, and I pulled it out to look at it.

Mission moved up to now.
Report to Shield ASAP.

On my way in. Steve and
I just walked into Shield.

As soon as I got to the locker room I stripped and jumped in the shower. I hadn't showered earlier since I was planning on sparring with Steve before work. I lathered up good and rinsed off, making it a regrettably short shower. I dried off thoroughly, put back on the running capris and tank top I had worn in today, and pulled on the catsuit Shield's house elves had left ready for me. I put on deodorant and body spray, then pulled my hair up into a tight bun. I tucked my knives and short swords into their sheaths, my pistol in its holster and was ready to go. I shoved the rest of my stuff in my locker and walked to Fury's office to find out what was going on.

I didn't have long to wait. Steve, Maria, Fury and Natasha were already there, so we started getting things figured out. I was going into the field with the Avengers. Overnight, our intelligence systems had picked up on possible Ten Rings activity in Kuwait. Nothing had been released to the press yet, so we were hoping to neutralize the threat before they set off another bomb.

The Avengers were going in with minimal information, so I grabbed a tablet and started tapping away, half an ear on the chatter in the background. By the time Barton got there, I had narrowed down the possible transmission location to a 10 mile radius, but I wouldn't know more until we got closer.

"Do we have a hijab I can take with? I'm going to have to get closer to pinpoint this signal."

I looked up to see them looking at me in surprise. I threw the image up on the big screen. "This signal is identical to the other bombs they've set off. The frequency disappears at detonation, so someone has to be close enough to make sure that it detonates according to plan."

"So it probably has a timer in addition to the radio detonator," finished Bruce, rubbing a hand over his face. He had just come in just as I was speaking.

Natasha recovered quickly, "I know where I can get one," and ran out of the room.

I knew we were taking a Quinjet there, so the flight would be short, two hours, three tops.

"Does this thing have cellular data? If not, I need one that does. Otherwise, if you're all ready, I can do the rest on the way."

"Of course," said Maria. "It will auto-link to Shield's satellite once you're in the air. Bruce can help you scan the local frequencies, his Arabic is passable."

"Great. I'll take the help."

"Let's move it, people. Clock's ticking."

Natasha came back in the room with a black bundle of fabric in her hands and a man's power suit thrown over her shoulder. I took the hijab from her and followed the team out.

*           *          *

Steve's POV   

We went up to the roof, where a Quinjet was running, waiting for us. We took our seats and strapped in; Clint and Natasha were co-piloting. Sarah was next to me, still tapping away at her computer with Bruce on her other side, also on his computer. Tony was going to meet us en route as Iron Man.

"So why Jahra?" Sarah asked as she pulled up a satellite image of Kuwait. "If I was going to do some kind of strike to make a statement, I would choose Kuwait City or the airport."

"These guys tend to choose somewhere close to a major city, and whoever controls Jahra controls the Kuwait airport," Clint stated.

"And Roxxon Oil's biggest competitor, Oracle Global, has a regional headquarters there." Tony's voice came in over our coms.