11 - A Strengthened Bond

Beginne am Anfang

He clapped his hands together, and nodded subtlety towards KT. She understood the message; We'll talk in a bit.

"Now then, let's get to it."

...

He sighed, and fell into a sitting position on the ground.

The others had finally left, after several hours of discussing a plan of action concerning Erebus. They were pretty sure that they had a decent game-plan now, and were ready to put it into action. Pitching it to Briggs was all that was left, but he wasn't worried. Once the commander had heard that Erebus was a tangible system, and they may actually be uncovering a massive potential threat, she was mobilizing Militia fleets all over.

He was just tired and stressed from standing around and discussing battle plans all day.

"Pilot?"

He grinned, remembering that someone hadn't left, and was still here. He turned and gave her leg a quick pat. "Hey, KT."

"Are you feeling better?"

"Oh yeah, loads better than I was feeling the other day." He turned his head upwards. "Were you worried?"

She sounded sheepish. "A bit, yes."

He hadn't expected that, he'd just been teasing her a bit. "Really? I'm sorry, I didn't mean for you to be stuck worrying about me all day-"

"It's not your fault."

He rolled his eyes. "Oh, really? Well then, who else would it be?"

She paused for a moment. "Mine."

He raised his eyebrows, and looked her right in the optics. "What gave you that idea?"

"I did."

"Why?"

She seemed to be finding the right words to explain. "It is neither your fault nor mine that you were injured, I understand that now. But it is my fault that I feel worried... because that's just how I feel."

He blinked. "Sorry, I don't follow you."

She gave a synthetic sigh, as if she were having enough trouble explaining already. "I came to an understanding a few days ago. About our interaction as Titan and pilot, our relationship. And I realized why I felt responsible, why I felt anxious when you were stuck in the medical wing."

He listened intently.

"I worry for you because I care about you. And so long as I care about you, I cannot stop worrying about you." She looked at him again. "I could instead decide to maintain a more neutral relationship with you, rather than the one we have entertained so far. But I choose not to, so therefore it is my fault."

He was at a loss for words, he hadn't expected that. "And why do you choose not to? If you need a more neutral partnership, just let me know-"

"That is the last thing I want."

He shut up.

"I choose not to because I value our friendship far too much to sacrifice it. Yes, it means that I hurt more when you are hurt; it also means that I am happier when I'm with you, that we have a stronger bond than other Titans and pilots do."

She laughed slightly, and he jerked aback. He had never heard her laugh before, never heard any Titan laugh before. They were walking war machines, yet here she was... laughing.

"You and I met as foes. I remember how we both thought that each of us would kill the other. Now look at us." She glanced down at him. If Titans could smile, she would definitely be doing it. "I had thought that Captain Shears and I had a strong bond. We were linked for over a year and four months. I grieved over his death, and I still regret it. But even at our strongest point... it does not compare to the bond that you and I share, Four."

"You really feel that way?"

The eye in her chassis nodded. "Yes. Shears and I were partners. You and I... we are friends, Tobias. And I want it that way."

The use of his first name struck a chord with him, and he looked at her in a new light. He couldn't see how the Militia could try to dehumanize Titans; they had feelings, personalities...

He would do no such thing. He would respect her as a person for as long as they were together.

In an act of defiance towards that stupid mindset of the both the IMC and the Militia's, he stood up and motioned for her to bend down. She obliged, though confusedly. With her optics now at his height, he smiled and patted the top of it affectionately. She froze for a moment, unsure of how to react. He ran his hand over it, rubbing the metal slightly with his fingertips, like he would the head of a human.

"I want it that way too, Kay."

She blinked. He exhaled.

"I know you told me that Titans have ID's, not names. To keep people from placing value of a Titan over a human. But I don't see it that way, I can't see it that way." He held her gaze seriously. "You and I, we're equals. Understand? And I don't want you thinking any different."

He felt a little bit of wetness in his eye, and scolded himself. He couldn't help it though; she was basically his best friend, she meant too much to him. For him to even conceive the notion that she would consider herself below him made him upset.

"I know you and I didn't start off this way, but I am so glad that we ended up here. I am proud to call you my friend."

With that, he placed his hands on the side of her optics, and leaned in close, resting the top of his head against hers. It was the closest thing to a hug that he could give a Titan. She closed her eye, enjoying the moment for once and not worrying about protocols and the like.

From that day forward, they weren't just Titan and pilot. They would always have that unique bond that such a pair would have, the relationship that only a pilot and a Titan could know where you aren't just you, but are rather one half of a whole. But that wasn't all they had.

For most Titans and pilots, they were partners. They worked together, looked out for one another, yes, but focused on the mission first.

For them, they were the closest of friends. And they would always put each other first.