Fake It Till You Make It

Start from the beginning

Cheap flowery perfume lingers in the air, also from Jerica.

Lena puts a comforting hand on Lucas' arm, turning his attention to her. Lena smiles sadly up at him, obviously trying to put on a happy face for him.

This causes Lucas to wonder how long it'll take for things to get back to normal. Probably awhile.

Lucas glances away from Lena when he hears Jerica coming down the stairs in a hurry.

It seems that ever since Lucas' first shift into a wolf, his senses have been heightened. So now Lucas can smell the natural scent of Jerica.

He can't explain what she smells like, but Lucas somehow knows he'll never forget it. Lucas can smell a much fainter scent. He realizes with a sinking feeling that it's Mason's natural scent.

His is kind of woodsy, like another scent Lucas is picking up. It's his own scent.

All werewolves must have that slight woods smell included in their scent. Lucas will have to test that theory on Adrian. Since he's a werewolf, Adrian should also have that similar scent.

Or so Lucas believes, since he still doesn't know Adrian's big secret.

Jerica crashes down the stairs, bringing Lucas back to the present.

"Lucas!" Jerica exclaims, happy to see Lucas for the first time in years. Jerica never acts happy to see Lucas. So it's odd when she also gives him a big hug.

Lena steps back to give the siblings some space, which is nice in theory. But Lena's absence doesn't ease anything in Lucas. He only feels better with her close enough to touch.

Lena is like his rock right now, anchoring him to his sanity. She distracts Lucas from everything wrong going on in his life.

When Jerica lets Lucas go, he gives her a big smile before taking Lena's hand in his.

"How are you? I know I just saw you yesterday, but I feel the need to ask." Jerica rambles on, obviously embarrassed at showing any emotion towards her older, least favorite, brother.

Lucas suddenly has a sickening thought that Jerica might be wishing that Mason was here instead. Honestly, Lucas kind of feels the same. Saying that life without Mason has been hard would be an understatement.

"I'm okay. The doctor said I'm healing nicely." Lucas answers on autopilot. It's the same thing he told Lena and Monique.

Lucas may be healing, he may be okay physically, but he's breaking down inside.

"That's great!" Jerica says with a little bit too much enthusiasm. This reminds Lucas of the expression, "Fake it till you make it."

And for the first time it confuses Lucas. If you're faking it, how do you know when you've made it?

She clears her throat in the awkward silence that's suddenly fallen on everyone like another layer of skin. It seems to cling to anyone near Lucas. Everything's become awkward. Except with Lena.

"I talked with that doctor about Mason earlier today, and he said it's normal to be unconscious for awhile after an Alpha bite, like you were, Lucas." Jerica says, hoping to make him feel better. And possibly to convince herself.

"Yeah. That's what he told me." Lucas replies.

Lena gives Lucas a warning look. Did his words come out coldly? Did it sound like Lucas doesn't believe a word that the doctor said? Lucas should be more careful with his tone to avoid hurting Jerica.

"Well, I made dinner. Why don't we go eat?" Jerica announces while rushing off to the kitchen.

Just like Lucas thought, Jerica had made grilled cheese sandwiches.

Lena and Lucas sit down with Jerica to eat the sandwiches, which actually aren't half bad.

Lucas randomly thinks that it's weird that Jerica recently sprayed her perfume in the house. She usually doesn't wear it.

"So why'd you spray the house with your flowery perfume? I could smell it a mile away." Lucas teases Jerica to ease the tension in the room.

Lucas has his hands resting on the table, and he feels Lena put her hand over his as she gives him a real smile this time. It's warm and full of hopefulness that everything will turn itself around soon.

"I thought with the men of the house gone I should make the place smell girly. I don't know, I was bored." Jerica finishes with an eyeroll.

They laugh with Jerica at her weirdness and Lucas feels a small bit of weight lifted from his chest. His heart aches a little less now.

Guess it is true what they say, laughter is the best medicine.