Chapter 5 - Crisis!

-Nanami's POV-

"NANAMI!!!!! OMG" Miki-chan exclaimed dramatically at the polaroid picture.

"Shhhh!!! Calm down, Miki-chan!" I held her down.

I told Miki-chan everything and she listened attentively. Miki-chan has been my best friend since middle school and we were lucky enough to get into the same high school. She's loud at times but she's really understanding and kind.

"Ahhhhh Nanamiiiiii" She moves forward and pull me into a tight hug. Of course, I hugged her back.

"You guys are so sweet though."

"For now, I'm happy to be by his side. I guess being his friend is good enough. I want to help him regain his memory slowly so that he wouldn't feel lonely again." I smiled as I played with the straw in my cup of ice lemon tea.

"I'll support you in whatever you do, Nanami." Miki-chan said sweetly.

I gave her another hug.

The bell goes off signalling the end of our break.

As I was walking back to class with Miki-chan, she suddenly started tapping me on my shoulder very aggressively.
"Wha-" I looked up to see Kei outside his classroom. Well, I don't get to see him often since we're in different class so it is kind of rare to see him hanging around.

Miki-chan and I continued walking and when I was walking past him, he flashed a sweet smile. His smile always melts my heart and turns into my weakness every single time. I tried to smile naturally but my heart was going all dokidoki. I hope my smile wasn't too weird!

"Ne, Nanami! Didn't you say that you want to go to the Summer Festival next week? Who are you going with?" Miki-chan suddenly said that out LOUD.

"Ha?" I got so embarrassed by the sudden question. I didn't even mention anything about Summer Festival! I'm pretty sure Kei heard it. It was SO LOUD.

I lightly (and frantically) pushed Miki-chan into our classroom.
"Mikiiiiiiiiiiiiii-chan what was that???? I didn't mention anything about the Summer Festival!"
I wanted to dig a hole and bury myself down there.

God, that was so embarrassing.

"Hey, I'm creating an opportunity for you, my dear." Miki-chan smirked.

"That was so embarrassing!" I whined.

Now, because of Miki-chan, I thought that maybe I do want to go to the Summer Festival with Kei.

But...I doubt he'll ask me anyway...

• • •

"Yaaaay, school's finally over! Summer break is hereeeeee!" Miki-chan exclaimed.

"I'm so exhausted." I collapsed on my chair.

"Mouuu, let's go Nanami!" She pulled me out of the class.

She dragged me along as we walked through the corridor. I was feeling really lazy. I couldn't be bothered so I let her drag me out.

Suddenly, I felt Miki-chan's hand tapping me my shoulder. I blinked a few times before regaining my balance.

At the side of the corridor, a girl and Kei were standing there. My eyes widened immediately when I saw the scene. Miki-chan took my hand and moved closer towards them. We were hiding behind a classroom door. I felt kind of bad for eavesdropping but Miki-chan wouldn't let me go.

"We shouldn't eavesdrop on them!" I whispered to Miki-chan.

"Shh, just stay." Miki-chan whispered back.

I pursed my lips as I sat down silently.

"Inoo-chan, I've always been looking at you. I really like you and I hope you'll go to the festival with me!"

"Holyshit, she has guts to actually ask a guy out for summer festival." Miki-chan whispered.

"Wait, she's the so-called elegant & pretty girl who everyone likes from Class 2B!" She stood up all of a sudden and almost lost it.

Honestly, I wanted to run away. I don't want to know what's his answer.

"Thank you for telling me your feelings. I apprecia-"

BAM!

I peeked through and I saw someone coming into the classroom which Miki-chan and I were hiding in.

He was holding a box filled with broken artworks or whatever those are. He came into the classroom and saw us hiding.

"Shushh!!!" Miki-chan whispered and waved her hand in panic.

His eyes widened in confusion.

He looks startled but he didn't make a single sound. He placed the box on his table, gave us a strange look and left. God bless this guy here.

We waited for the coast to clear before leaving the classroom.

"Arghhh! We didn't get to hear his answer!" Miki-chan kicked a small rock on the ground.

"Well, to think about it, she's pretty and elegant like what everyone says. Compared to her, I'm just the childhood friend who he doesn't remember. Well, that's not his fault but I guess every guy would say yes, right?" I sulked.

"You're so negative, Nanami-chan! What if Inoo-chan is different?" Miki-chan was holding onto both of my shoulders, shaking me slightly.

"I don't know. I don't know him that well since we're making friends with each other all over again." I looked down on the ground and continue sulking.

"Then again, I did say being his friend is good enough...although.."

"Although you're upset about it. Actually, you want to be more than his friend right?" Miki-chan completed my sentence and totally hit the bullseye.

I turned around and started walking.

"It's okay Miki-chan~ I'll get over it~ You should get going. The sky's turning dark." I tried to sound positive but it only sounded bitter.

• • •

I didn't get to talk to him ever since then. I kind of want to avoid him too. It's awkward. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel. I hate this feeling. I'm supposed to help him yet I'm selfishly thinking about myself.

Am I really jealous? Why am I feeling so negative?