Chapter Two

Maggie Thatcher
2/3/17
P4
Topic #14

No One's Gotten To You Yet

The next morning, I printed out about a hundred flyers in case Arthur's owner was looking for him. I went around town, posting them in every place I could think of. The marketplace, the park, the post office, and even the local animal shelter. I went through all one hundred copies, and eventually went home. "I hope someone calls, since I bet your owner is searching for you pretty hard." I said to Arthur when I got home. He meowed at me, rubbing against my legs. He seemed to be recovering well, and has also seemed to take quite a liking to me.
I lifted him up, and he started purring. It was still a rough and scratchy sound, but I found it oddly relaxing. Since I had the day off today, I decided to spend my time reading a new book I had gotten. I sat on the couch, Arthur in my lap and still contently purring, and opened my book. As I read through the chapters, I didnt realize how much time was passing. By the time I actually decided to take a break, it was almost six in the afternoon!
Seeing as it was time to make dinner, I carefully got up, making sure not to wake Arthur. I went into the kitchen and began cooking, if one can call simply reheating last night's dinner cooking. I also put another can of tuna into Arthur's bowl, for when he woke up. I sat down at the table, staring at the screen of my phone. No one had gotten to me today, and I can honestly say I was a tiny bit disappointed. I had put those flyers up everywhere, and I'm sure nearly everyone in town has seen them.
I sighed, leaning back in my chair. I had thought that whoever was surely looking for Arthur would have at least seen the flyers, but then again it was only the first day. Sometimes these things took a few days, so I just had to be patient. My mind wandered to what I would do with Arthur when I had to go back to work tomorrow. I certainly couldn't leave him here, since he was still recovering and needed to be looked after. I didn't really trust anyone else to watch after him, and I'm not even sure if he'll trust another person to look after him.
I finished eating, putting the dishes in the sink. I felt something rub against my legs, and looked down to see Arthur, happily purring. His bowl was empty, and I smiled at him. "No one has called to ask about you today, so we're still waiting on that." I said, picking him up. "In the meantime, though, you and I get to hang out some more." I added, and he licked my face. "I love you too, Arthur. I hope I can get you home." I said, unaware of the fact that in his mind, he already was. As I prepared for bed, I didn't notice the buzzing of my phone, meaning that someone had finally called to ask about him.

Continued in my next essay...