Didn't Expect That Coming

TWO YEARS LATER

I looked left and right as I got off the last bus in New York. Realising a sigh of relief, caused by not finding my dad in view, I stepped of the bus only to wince at the movement. I nodded 'thank you' to the bus driver, not being able to speak the mere 'yes' needed. It was a warm as the sun rose but I had long track pants, a oversized jumper and a cap on to cover the marks that scattered my body. With my eyes being puffy from crying and my hair a small birds nest, overall I was a horrid sight. The memories of my life kept flashing past my eyes and no matter how far I roamed from home they made sure there presence was know in my mind. Now, to reach some safety, all I had ahead of me was a long hike.

CHRIS' POV

The loud patter of the rain caused the TV's volume to be turned on high blast, and whether I was watching it or not went unnoticed by the boys surrounding me fully engrosed in the game. The thunder's rumble was drowned out by the loud periodic cheering that filled the room, the smell of cologne filling the small space.

"I'm hungry," Jono whined as the typical beer and sporting commercials came on.

"Yeah me too," Tony said, looking at me expectantly, like some how that look would make him fetch his food.

I rolled my eyes, "You're big boys. You can make something."

"Stuff making something," Cory said getting up and heading to the phone,"Who wants pizza?"

The chorus of agreement, almost louder then the previous cheering, made by Jono, Nate and Tony made my vote on the menu invalid. With five boys, Cory and Tony being my brothers and Jono and Nate our mates, we were not strangers to the local pizza shop.

Cory ordered pizza and shortly came back over to where we sat in front of the TV. The game shortly finished with a final cheer. Our team won. Our fist pumping, jumping over couches, and screams were interupted by the doorbell.

"I'll get it," Cory jumped up with hunger all over his face. He leaped over the coffee table dramatically before running to the door. As we settled down, the thought of food directing our attention away from the previous win, I heard the door opened before silence. There were no exchanging of words nor jingling of change and after a long minute, I went to see what was taking so long.

Reaching the foyer, I saw Cory frozen at the door.

"What's wrong?" I said as I walked to the door. There stood a girl that looked very familiar. She had chestnut colored hair, tucked neatly into her dark hoodie and looked like she was dressed for the snow dispite the scorching heat. I could see a faint blue line along her jaw but my view was obstructed due to her downwards turned face. It was when she looked up that I gasped, putting a name to the face.

"Hey dudes!" Tony said his voice getting closer, "What the hell? I'm hungry." I felt him come behind me and jerk to a stop.

"Izzy," I whispered, stepping forward and reaching out.

Tears welled up in her eyes and she winced like my touch burnt her. She looked up at me with puffy, bloodshot eyes and her whole body, in addition to the large amount of clothing she wore on it, shook like the earthquake. What looked like a light blue mark on her jaw before turned out to be a deep purple bruise that went up her face. Her skinny frame looked snapable, and this feeling was emphasised as she looked so pale and weak like she could barely hold herself up.

"Oh My Gosh, Iz. What happened?"

She just stood there sopping wet with tears running down her face.

"Come in," Tony said, gesturing her in. We all stepped back and as she enter, I closed the door behind her. Cory ran and got a towel as we directed her into the lounge where Nate and Jono were. "Yes," Jono yelled. I saw fear cross Iz's features as she quickly retreated back towards the door. Cory came up behind her and wrapped the towl around her shoulders. She jumped a mile in fright at his sudden appearance. "It's just me," Cory whispered, holding his hands up. She relaxed slightly, but not enought to loosen her sholders that stood as stiff as a board.