My Mermaid Story

My Mermaid Story

Dear Child Who Wishes to be a Mermaid,

I have a story to tell you…

When I was fourteen, I was entranced by the idea of becoming a mermaid. It all began when I read a book about mermaids. It was fascinating. I loved the pictures in the book of the mermaid’s beautiful tails and long hair. A few months after I developed my interest, my parents announced we were going on a family vacation to some old towns in Europe. Obviously I was excited, but I would have rather gone to the beach or something like that. We went in June the next year. It was a blast! I actually ended up going to several magicians who all told me the same thing – I needed to make my own spell. They said to make instructions and follow them and I might become a mermaid.

When I returned home, I started paying more attention to moon patterns. I went to an antique shop and bought an old journal, a necklace that gave me those vibes you get at the beach, a handheld mirror, and a small box with a key just big enough to hold all of the things I bought. I also went to a normal store and bought candles. I went to the beach and I got a bottle of salt water, some sand, and some shells. On the full moon, I filled my bathtub with water, poured in the sand, salt water, and shells, and lit some candles. I put on my necklace. I stared at myself, getting one last look at myself not as a mermaid. I turned off all the lights and got into the bathtub. I closed my eyes and imagined myself as a mermaid. I refused to let the image fade from my mind. I recited the spell I wrote into the notebook a few days earlier.

Witches and warlocks of the sea,

I ask of thee,

To make me a mermaid,

Or back to my human self when I choose to be.

When I summon my tail only,

The image in my mind,

Is what I shall look like when I transform,

But I will only transform when I please,

The moon will not faze me,

I will have a beautiful singing voice,

I will have atmokineses, telepathy, and telekinesis,

That will not tire me,

And I will be a mermaid,

Or a human,

When I want to be.

I looked at the glowing full moon and closed my eyes. I fell into a deep sleep.

When I awoke, I was in the bathtub. All the water was drained out, the plug to the drain was still in, but I was sopping wet. I got out and I dried off. I put on pajamas and I put moisturizing lotion on my legs. I got into bed and fell asleep quickly.

The next day, I awoke to my alarm going off. I stood up slowly and I suddenly felt nauseous and dizzy. I looked down and my legs were red as if they had a rash. The skin on my feet was starting to peel off. Could these be side effects of the spell?

I walked into the kitchen, suddenly thirsty. I drank two huge glasses of water, but that wouldn’t do. I took a whole container of salt and poured it in a large jug. Then I put in some water and mixed it up. I took a large sip. Perfect. This would be perfect.

I went upstairs to my room. I got on my swimsuit and ran downstairs and jumped in the pool. It was ice cold. I checked the temperature. It was 39 degrees. The water was freezing, but it felt good on my itching legs.

My time went by like this for three days. I suddenly remembered the spell. I quickly wrote all the side effects I’d been having down. Suddenly, my necklace started tugging. I dragged me to the bath, where I said the spell. I turned on the water and got into the bath. I summoned my tail with my thoughts “Tail, come to me.” I closed my eyes, for there was a burning sensation. When I opened my eyes, I had a scaly tail in an indescribable color. My hair was long and full and my eyes were a bright blue. I was beautiful. I was a mermaid. It was everything I ever dreamed! I took in a mental image. Then I made myself back into a human by thinking, “Legs, return to me.” There was a painful ripping and I was back to normal. My tail had come, what about my powers? I tried out my atmokinesis. I could make it sunny, rainy, hot, or cold. I could make plant grow and water freeze. Then I tried out my telepathy. I could hear what people and animals were thinking. I tried out my telekinesis. It worked! I cleaned my room with my newfound powers.

Two years later, I craved the sea. I never wanted to be dry. I never wanted to be in human form. I had started using my powers for bad – using my telepathy to cheat on tests, using my telekinesis to hurt people. I had become a monster. I needed to get rid of this. But I was the bad version of myself too often. I quickly formed a reversal spell and repeated the steps I did to become a mermaid.

 I said with a weary heart,

Witches and warlocks of the sea,

Take this curse away from me,

It is getting bad, not good,

I wish to be a human always,

Like I always should.

I fell asleep. When I awoke, I was in the bathtub. The once-empty tub was now full. I understood. The first time, I had absorbed the water. This time, I gave it away. Now I was me – human again. The way it always should have been.

The moral is what you wish for isn’t always what you get. I thought it would be fun to be a mermaid, joyful. But it’s not. Please take this lesson into consideration if you choose to become a mermaid.

Good luck.

Signed,

Jessica Cooper,

Age 87