24: Follow the Light

Start from the beginning

"You're right.", Doctor Marshall responded, then paused for a moment. "Well, sort of."

He then tapped several buttons on the control panel and pulled up the overall mission map on the main display.

"Actually, if you notice, the Lieutenant Commander was supposed to shut down the Cavitation Drive way out here.", pointing to a spot further out on the map.

"But he didn't. Due to the vibrations, he shut it down early, which in turn, left him where he is now. It's a shame too. Because, look at that, if he just would have gone a little farther on the same path...", the doctor said indicating the general location of the light source.

Doctor Marshall paused a moment before continuing, "But you're right Commander, investigating that light source -- specifically -- isn't on the mission criteria. However, if we were to allow Sheppard to continue on his mission for another few moments, then maybe we could take a look and just, you know -- see what we see."

The Commander folded her arms and stared at the doctor, knowing full well that he was manipulating the situation.

The doctor turned his attention back toward the array of monitors. "This is your mission Commander.", he added with a subtle emphasis on the 'your'. "I'm sure you're aware, it's not like we're going to have this opportunity again. In fact, this may be the only time..."

"Have you ever sold vacuum cleaners Doctor?", she asked sarcastically.

"Vacuum cleaners?!", the doctor fired back. "No, I don't believe so. I'm just pointing out that it's too bad that Sheppard didn't..."

"You sound like my uncle Charlie.", Jordan interrupted. "He sold vacuum cleaners door-to-door."

The commander cut him off again, "We're going."

The truth is Jordan was just a curious as the Doctor about the light, but she needed to stay true to the mission. The doctor had just given her the perfect way to justify that.

Jordan leaned forward and tapped the comm switch, "Lieutenant Commander, you're a 'go' for the light. Go see what's out there, but make it quick."

"You got it Commander.", Nick confirmed.

And with that, the corner of Doctor Marshall's moustache turned slightly upward, meaning that somewhere under all that course, grayish white hair was a smile.

Commander Kennedy, glanced suspiciously again over at the doctor who remained focused on the displays, "Are you sure you've never sold vacuums?"

Without turning his attention from the displays, the doctor quietly replied, "Cars. For a while in college, I sold used cars in Biloxi, Mississippi. Crazy Larry's."

Jordan turned her focus back to the monitors, shook her head and smiled, "Mmm, hmm. It had to be something."

Doctor Marshall eased back in his chair and exhaled deeply. He had his intact crystal. Now he was praying that his calculations on the containment sphere were correct. Otherwise, the entire thing would soon very literally blow up in his face.

As if reading his mind Jordan asked, "So, do you think the sphere will hold?"

The doc nodded with at least some level of assurance, "Sure Commander. I think it'll do it's job. As long as Sheppard can manage not to drop it between there and here."

"Well, he's got it secured.", Jordan replied. "It's pretty much in lock down mode now."

"Oh.", Jordan's face cringed as she was struck by an unpleasant thought, one she wished would have hit her a little earlier.