s i x t e e n

Aspen's POV:
I woke up with a splitting headache. It felt like someone was jabbing my head with a screwdriver. I jumped up, forgetting where I was.

Then I remembered last night. From the kiss with Daryl to the beating from my dad. I guessed the headache was from the alcohol, but my abdomen was killing me. I went into the bathroom and fell onto the floor in tears.

My face was covered in deep purple. I still had dried blood left over from the beating, and I had many bruises on my face. I lifted up my shirt, wincing. I gasped. My stomach was covered in bruises, even worse than my face.

I broke down again. How was I going to face Shane, let alone Daryl? And then there was everyone else...

I couldn't do it. I started sobbing yet again. After I had let all my tears fall, I finally got up and washed the blood off my face. At least before I could've covered up the bruises with makeup, but I had no such luck now. I sighed and hobbled over to the dresser to see if there was any clothes I could use. I found a white tank top and a large flannel to put over it. I didn't find any pants that fit me though, so I had to keep my old ripped black ones on. Then I slipped my navy converse on.

I kept my hair down and sighed. I hoped it would help to cover even just a little bit of my bruises. I didn't know how I would be able to face the group. I knew it would bad enough with Daryl, but now everyone would be asking questions.

I finally built up the courage and walked out the door.  I looked both ways, making sure no one was in the hallway. I'll deal with them all at once, I don't want any sneak attacks.

I dragged my toes along the carpet, dreading going into the dining room. I heard the group before I saw them. I could hear Glenn complaining that his head was killing him. I feel you buddy. And I could hear all of the adults laughing at him.

"I told you, you were going to have a rough morning." Dale responded to Glenn and chuckled.

"Ugh but it hurts so bad." Glenn complained.

I stood out of sight for a few minutes, trying to gain my composure. I finally just sighed and walked in with my shoulders down, and my hair covering most of my face.

"Hey Aspen! How are you-" Carol started to say when she stopped. "Oh sweetie, what happened?"

I sighed. "I was drunk and I don't really remember a lot, but I think I fell down." I mumbled. "It's not that bad."

I finally had enough courage to look up and I saw everyone was looking at me. The emotions ranged from worry, to pity, to full on rage (Shane). I finally saw the pair of blue eyes. He was staring straight at me and he looked guilty as hell.

I blushed and looked down at my shoes. Even Glenn with his hangover had a worried look on his face. "That must have been one nasty fall." Dale commented. "Don't think I've ever been drunk enough to do that." He chuckled.

"Screw off. I've never drank before." I tried to hide my limp as I sat down and looked at my lap. I could feel everyone's eyes on me still as I grabbed a piece of toast for breakfast.

Daryl's POV
I saw Aspen walk through the door and my heart dropped. I was embarrassed enough after last night, but seeing her hurt like that broke my heart. I knew it wasn't a fall. I bet it was that ass of a father she has. I scoffed. That idiot.

I kept my eyes on her all through breakfast, but she never looked up. Finally, Jenner took us to see a test subject.

"This is Test Subject 19. We recorded how the disease affected their brain." Jenner stated.