“Why?”

“It’s for your own good Evan. You see what happened with that Alex boy, please heed my words. Now go, only for tonight, I promise. It’s the circle of life, Evan. They love you at first and then they turn on you quickly after they use you. Give him what he wants and he’ll leave you quicker than light!”

I clenched my jaw. “I don’t get a say in this don’t I?”

She frowned and came over to me and placed a kiss on my forehead. “I’m afraid not.”

A sigh escaped my lips and without saying another word I slugged back upstairs. “Don’t be a spoiled brat Evan.”

The sound of the doorbell rang and I stopped immediately. I spun around and ran for the door. From the corner of my eye, I could see mom right behind me.

Luckily, the age factor played a great roll and I beat her to the front door and swung it open.

Jacob turned around and faced me. The smile was wiped clean off his face when he looked at me. He swallowed quickly and looked me over. “You look…” he sighed and smiled widely. “You look…wow.”

“Thank you.” I smiled and looked him over. His high end and expensive looking suit failed to highlight his incomparable facial features and even through his suit his muscles shone and rippled. “You don’t look too bad yourself.”

Mom pushed past me, failing to care that she was squishing me against the door’s wooden frame. “I’m sorry Jacob, Evan cannot go out tonight.”

His face twisted into a look of confusion and his eyes settled back on me. “Well, then. I guess next year we can go…” he mumbled.

Mom gave him a sympathetic smile. “I’m sorry Jacob. You should be on your way now.”

He hid his frown by bowing his head. “Yeah, I should return the carriage then.” He mumbled again and spun around to leave.

I gasped. “Nonsense. I can go.” I said.

“What?” both of them uttered.

“I can go Jacob. We don’t want to let that carriage go to waste.”

“Evan, dear, didn’t we have a deal?’

I grabbed my cell phone off of the table near the door. “Mom, this is a once and a life time event.”

“Actually, my dad does it every year.”

“Shut it Jacob.” I barked with my eyes till on my mom. “Please, mom.” I begged.

Her eyes stayed solid and stoned but after a few more sighs she finally cracked. “Fine, but you have until midnight.”

A squeal blasted its way through my lips and I dragged her into a hug. “Thank you mom.”

She sighed and broke the hug. “Remember, Evan. Be home by midnight or by God you will never go on another date again.”

I nodded and grabbed Jacob by the hand. Sprinting for the carriage, I stopped once we arrived at its stationary position in the front of our driveway.

Its golden frame was fit for a royalty. Horses – black and white sat at the steer with a man dressed in a tuxedo placed right behind them with a pair of roped tightly placed in between his palms. Lights flickered at the top of its doors and wheels were wooden with steel placed on its edges.

“My God…” I whimpered. Jacob came up behind me and wrapped his arms around me. “This is a something made for a-”

“Disney princess?” he said, finishing my words for me.